Muscles are an important part of the skeletal system. They are required to maintain proper support and movement of the body and its internal organs. Muscle spasms are involuntary contraction, which are not under our control. Muscle spasm occur suddenly producing intense sharp pains. In fact, it is the natural mechanism of the body to protect the already injured muscle from further deterioration by limiting its movement. Back and neck muscle spasm are frequently encountered as compared to other body muscles. This may be due to excess of wear and tear, these muscles face during various body activities such as bending, lifting weights, sitting, improper posture etc.Suddenly your back becomes stiff and tight due to back muscle spasms.
Causes of Back Muscle Spasm
- The most common cause for back muscle spasm is sudden and abrupt movement while doing household activities or physical exercise.
- Lifting heavy objects without bending at a proper angle can be a cause for your back muscle spasm.
- Staying in the same position for a long time, or wrong posture while sitting, sleeping can produce sudden upper back muscle spasm with sharp excruciating pain. Usually upper back muscle spasm goes away on its own.
- Dehydration and too much of sweating can create imbalance of electrolyte (potassium and sodium) in the blood resulting in back muscle spasm.
- Many women complain of lower back muscle spasm during pregnancy and menstruation.
- Deficiency of calcium and potassium is also one of the causes for back muscle spasm.
The other causes for muscle spasm in back may be due to certain conditions such as muscle fatigue, spinal nerve damage or spinal cord injury, inadequate warm up before engaging in strenuous physical activities, over exertion etc.
Upper and Lower Back Muscle Spasms Treatment
The best way to treat upper back muscle spasm is to take a hot bath. It relaxes the muscles and improves the circulation in the upper back muscles. Herbal oil massage is another effective upper/ lower back muscle spasm treatment, all you need is tincture of lobelia, wintergreen, cramp bark. Mix all equally in almond oil. Slightly warm the oil before applying the herbal oil on your back. Rest is another best option to relieve your upper back muscle spasm. Once your spasm has subsided, do not try to overstrain, as it may precipitate another attack of muscle spasm. After few days, consider doing yoga and other back stretching exercises after consulting your doctor. First do warm up exercise.
Home Remedies for Muscle Spasms
- Hot water bath is the first home solution when you suffer from muscle spasms.
- Rest is essential to relax your back and other muscles of your body when they are strained in excess.
- Eat diet rich in calcium to get relief from muscle spasm. Milk, cheese, yogurt, etc are rich sources of calcium. Incorporate them in your diet.
- At times muscle spasm can be due to potassium deficiency. Eat foods rich in potassium such as banana, potatoes, apricots, tomatoes and wheat flour.
- The anti inflammatory property of celery seeds is very useful in muscle spasm. It can relieve pain and reduce the muscle spasm.
- Drink chamomile tea when you suffer from muscle spasms. The amino acid glycine present in the tea helps to relax the muscles.
- Drink lemon water with a pinch of salt, if the muscle spasm occurs during the workout.
- The best home remedy for muscle spasm is warm water with mustard seeds. Soak your feet for 10 to 15 minutes.