Question: I suffer from excessive sweating in the armpits. Even in the winters. Is there any solution to my problem?
Answer: Sweating in armpits is not only troublesome but an annoying condition that no one wants to have. Mild perspiration in underarms is normal when you do physical work or in summer season, however many people sweat excessively even in cold climate. This abnormal condition is called axillary hyperhidrosis in medical parlance.
Sometimes extreme dripping sweat in armpits is accompanied with uncontrolled sweat in palms. Such type of sweating is difficult to control even with deodorants.Fortunately there are ways which can reduce sweating to tolerable level.
Causes Of Excessive Armpit Sweating And Odor
About 1% of population may suffer from extreme sweating, in armpits, palms and soles. The main problem lies with dysfunction of sympathetic nervous system. In such cases certain procedures such as botox therapy, anticholinergic medicines and surgery may prove beneficial.
Aside from primary cause of nervous system, there are many people who may suffer from excessive sweating in their armpits due to various other reasons. The prominent among them are anxiety, fear, nervousness, and obesity.
Some types of food may also trigger the nervous system to produce excessive perspiration.For example garlic, onions, caffeine, spicy food etc.
Home Remedies To Reduce Excessive Underarm Sweating And Odor
Home remedies for Managing problem of armpit sweating and body odor
- Make certain that you shower or bathe, twice daily and also make sure that you wash your clothes after each wear.
- You can use a deodorant soap on the underarms, torso and the body, but pick a gentler soap for the face. If possible, use an anti-bacterial soap to eliminate bacteria.
- Shower after any activity that requires great physical exertion, in addition, to taking the daily shower.
- Trim your armpit hairs as it prevents bacteria from multiplying, and also keeps off ugly sweat rings around the armpit.
- Dusting a little bit of baking powder affords relief from too much sweating. It soaks up both sweat and smell.
- Change bed linens once a week to ensure that you are not picking up lingering smells from the sheets.
- A diet that is lacking in zinc is occasionally responsible for producing sweat and foul body odor. A zinc supplement is recommended. Certain foods such as – almonds, sesame seeds, and pistachios, are very good sources of this mineral. Step up your intake of these foods.
- Reduce your weight if you are obese.
- Wear loose fitting cotton clothes as cotton absorbs perspiration better than synthetic material. It also allows free movement of air and thus aids in evaporating excessive sweat.
- Avoid eating foods that trigger the nervous system to produce more sweat. Therefore avoid eating onions, garlic, spicy food, too much of coffee and tea as well as energy drinks.
- Feeling anxious and nervous will make you perspire more, so keep calm. Avoid being nervous and anxious by practicing deep breathing exercises and meditation.
- Tomato juice is valuable in controlling armpit sweating. Drink one glass of tomato juice daily for few weeks. It may take time before you observe results.
- Lime juice and apple cider vinegar are effective in reducing excess of perspiration from underarms. Apply any one of them and keep it for 15 minutes. Wash the area afterwards with cool water.