Underarm body odor is unpleasant and embarrassing for both, those who suffer from it and for people who are around them. Many believe children are free from underarm body odor till they attain puberty. To a certain extent, it is true.
But there are instances where you will find a child smelling badly, especially from his underarm, even after all the possible hygienic care his parents take. In such circumstances, it is necessary to find out why it happens.
Causes Of Underarm Body Odor In Children
Contrary to your belief, sweat is odorless. It is the bacteria present on the surface of the skin that are real culprits to emit the distressing odor from your body when they interact with your sweat.It becomes a favorable environment for the bacteria to multiply in the presence of sweat.
Following are the causes for underarm body odor:
- Secretion of androgen is a normal physiological process for a child who attains puberty. Androgens are hormones that give secondary sexual characteristic, such as voice change, hair in pubic and underarm areas etc.
- This hormone also activates the sweat glands to produce more sweat, especially in the underarms. Bacteria present in the skin folds of underarms react with sweat to emit bad odor.
- When a child attains puberty very early than normal, he is prone to foul underarm body odor. This stage of puberty is also called precocious puberty.
- Certain foods such as garlic and onion are known to produce body odor.
- Certain disease can also produce strong body odor as they trigger excessive sweating. They are diabetes, liver disease, low blood sugar, metabolic diseases, parasites etc.
- Emotional stress which causes profuse sweating can emit fishy underarm body odor.
- Fried foods containing rancid oils can emit foul body odor.
- Lastly, unhygienic practices can be a cause for foul and fishy underarm body odor.
Natural Remedies For Underarm Odor
Following are the tips and remedies to curtail foul underarm body odor:
- Milk that contains hormones can contribute to underarm body odor in children. Children who drink this milk are more prone to foul body odor. In such cases switch over to organic milk.
- Consult your pediatrician to find if the child is not suffering from any diseases.
- Take proper hygienic care, such as daily bath, changing clothes and washing it daily, wearing loose fitting cotton clothes etc.
- Add 2 cups of tomato juice in the bathtub, take bath after the juice mixes well in the water.
- Avoid eating foods that can lead to underarm body odor such as garlic, onions, meat and spices.
- Drinking sage tea will help to reduce sweat glands activity.
- Baking soda helps to absorb sweat and it also acts on the bacteria and kills them.
- To neutralize the underarm body odor, eat parsley, alfa alfa and green leafy vegetables. The chlorophyll present in them has deodorizing effect.