Body odor is bad smell emitted from the body. Though it may not be a major health problem, strong body odor can be embarrassing for a person and great discomfort to others. Sweat by itself does not smell, however when sweat comes in contact with the bacteria present of the skin surface, it results into an unpleasant and embarrassing odor which everyone dislikes.
You can prevent body odor from your armpits and other areas of your body by following proper hygiene, discarding certain foods in your diet, regular bathing with antibacterial soaps.Avoid foods such as garlic, onion, eggs etc. Use of baking soda is a wise decision for preventing strong body odor.
What Causes Body Odor?
It is the bacterial activity on sweat which gives foul and fishy odor. Excessive exertion, such as during a workout or due to hot summer climate, can produce more perspiration. Stress, prolonged disease and poor hygiene, increase in androgen adds up to body odor woes.
Certain strong smelling foods such as garlic, onion can also cause unpleasant body odor. You can prevent body odor from your armpits, groin, scalp, thighs and other areas of your body by following proper hygiene, discarding certain foods in your diet, regular bathing with antibacterial soaps, wearing loose fitting cotton clothes, using white vinegar under your armpits etc.
Foods And Diet That Prevent Body Odor
Certain foods and diet can be culprits for foul body odor amongst various other causes. Here are some tips for foods to avoid and foods to eat in your diet to prevent body odor.
- Avoid foods such as garlic, onion, curry leaves that are known to cause strong body odor.
- Avoid foods that have high sulfur content such as eating eggs, if you have strong foul body odor.
- Cinnamon is one such spice that prevents bad body odor and makes the sweat smell nice. Add cinnamon to your food when you have history of foul body odor.
- Certain foods such as red meat, alcohol, artificial flavored foods, junk food, are known to release toxins through the sweat. These toxins can give foul body odor. Avoid such foods preparations to prevent body odor.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables that are known to detoxify the body and lessen the body odor.
- Drink enough amount of water so that the buildup of toxins in your body is prevented, as they can be one of the causes for body odor.
Eliminate Body Odor Using Baking Soda
There are many ways to prevent body odor, some use deodorant to mask the foul smell your body emits. However, the effect of deodorant stays for a while, besides they are expensive too. Use of baking soda is a wise decision for preventing strong body odor.
- If armpits smell foul, as it generally happens, prepare a paste of baking soda with water and apply it on your armpits. Let it remain for a while before washing it out with water.
- For bad breath from mouth, add small amount of baking soda to your toothpaste while brushing your teeth. You can use baking soda to swish and gargle.
- Use it in your bath. Pour some of baking soda powder in the bath tub and mix it well. Now soak in the tub. After your bath you can sprinkle it under your arms. But do not use baking soda soon after you have shaved your underarms or else it will sting. Besides this baking soda helps in relieving itch, and keeps your skin moist.
- To keep your foot odor free, sprinkle baking soda sparingly in your shoes at night. It will absorb the odor from your shoes in the morning, and your feet will be free from bad odor.