White discharge from breast makes a woman more alarmed and panicky than anything else, if she is not pregnant or breast feeding. Yes breast discharges can be serious but in many instances it may be normal or due to minor altered body condition.
White Discharge From Breasts
One should know what abnormal discharge is. If the discharge is bloody, if discharge is only from one breast and discharge that occurs without stimulation of breast and a spontaneous in nature is considered to be abnormal.
Evaluation by your doctor will determine if the discharge is normal or abnormal.
White discharge from breast is also called galactorrhea. It is a condition where the breast secretes milk or white discharge even when a woman is not breastfeeding.
Causes Of Milky Breast Discharge
The causes of white discharge from breast include:
- Tumor in pituitary gland.
- Herbs such as anise and fennel can cause white discharge from breast in few women.
- Hormonal medicines such as birth control pills.
- Antidepressant drugs.
- Fibrocystic disease of breast may cause white discharge from breast.
- Duct ectasia can cause breast discharge to be white or green. In this condition the ducts under the nipple get blocked and inflamed giving rise to white discharge which eventually turns green due to infection.
Treatment for white discharge from breast will depend on realizing the underlying cause. A surgeon’s opinion is necessary before concluding it to be normal. Mammography and MRI scanning will help to evaluate the condition apart from clinical examination.