In women the two ovaries on either side of the uterus are important reproductive organs. Ovaries have a dual role to play; it secretes hormones estrogen and progesterone which causes menstruation. Secondly a matured egg is released from ovary every month for possible fertilization with the sperm.
Ovaries are located in lower abdomen. As with any organ in the body, number of conditions can afflict ovaries. The symptoms produced may sometimes be experienced as tightness and cramping around the ovarian area in the lower abdomen. The feeling of discomfort and tightness can be acute in onset which may go away in short period of time or chronic, lasting for many months.
Strenuous physical activities or urination or pressure resulting during bowel movements may worsen the pain. If you are experiencing sensation of tightness and pain around the ovarian area, consult your doctor to determine the cause. Once the diagnosis is confirmed, your doctor may recommend the treatment.
What Causes Feeling Of Cramping In Ovaries?
There are several causes related to tightness in ovaries. Depending on the cause, feeling of cramping in ovaries may be severe and sharp or dull which you do not notice.
- Ovarian cyst: It is very common cause for tightness in ovaries in women of childbearing age.
- Endometriosis: This condition is characterized by proliferation of uterine lining cells in other organs such as the ovaries, fallopian tubes, etc. During every menstruation, the abnormal lining surrounding the ovary may bleed. This may cause tightness in ovaries.
- Ovarian tumor: A malignant or non malignant tumor in ovaries can produce pain and tightness in the lower abdomen.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease: Cramping and tightness in ovaries can occur due to PID. It is infection in the ovaries or the fallopian tube. Sexually transmitted disease such as gonorrhea and Chlamydia are known causes for cramps in ovaries and pelvic region along with several other symptoms.
- Pregnancy: Sexual intercourse during pregnancy in few women can be one the causes for tightness in ovaries and lower abdomen.
- Ovulation: Often during the time of ovulation, women may feel tightness in their ovaries.
Treatment Options For Tightness In Ovaries
Tightness in ovaries is a symptom produced due to many conditions afflicting the ovaries. To alleviate the problem, the main aim is to treat the underlying cause after its diagnosis. For example:
- Cramps caused due to ovarian cysts reduce on its own as the cyst dissolves in most the cases. The women may not need any treatment. However, if tightness affects her daily life every month, doctors may recommend birth control pills. The pills prevent ovulation and thus the cyst does not form.
- If tumor has been detected in the ovary, it has to be removed surgically, in some cases the whole ovary may be needed to be removed.
- If women experiences tightness and pain in ovaries due to endometriosis, anti inflammatory pain killers will be effective in alleviating pain. Birth control pills will also help to alleviate cramping in ovaries by slowing the growth of endometriosis lining.
- Antibiotics are treatment of choice for pelvic inflammatory disease which may cause feeling of tightness in ovaries. Along with the patient, women’s sexual partner should also be treated.
Certain herbs are also beneficial for alleviating tightness in ovaries. Wild yam is useful in reducing tightness associated with ovarian cyst. It is because of the natural analgesic property of wild yam. The roots of Valerian and Dong Qui are also beneficial in alleviating cramps and pain in ovaries.