Lack of Progesterone
Progesterone is a female hormone secreted by adrenal gland and ovaries, and during the pregnancy it is also secreted by placenta.
It is an important hormone which regulates proper menstrual cycle. It is also needed for proper maintenance of pregnancy.
Progesterone is also necessary for proper functioning of brain, nervous system, circulatory system, immune system, bones and other organs of the body.
Low Progesterone Levels Causes
- Birth control pills.
- Diet: nowadays foods especially non vegetarian food is rich in estrogen. It is because animals are given high level of estrogens for fast and large growth of tissue. Humans who consume them also have high level. This disturbs the normal balance of estrogen and progesterone in human beings and causes progesterone deficiency.
- Hormone replacement therapy.
Progesterone Deficiency Symptoms
- Premenstrual syndrome: heavy flow alternating with less flow in coming month and early menstruation are symptoms of low progesterone levels.
- Loss of memory.
- Weight gain
- Dryness of vagina.
- Recurrent urinary tract infection.
- Loss of libido.
Treatment of Progesterone Deficiency
- Lifestyle changes; rest, eat food less in sugar and fat, exercise regularly.
- Use of non estrogenic herbs, is useful in progesterone deficiency.
- Hormone replacement therapy is the surest and quickest method for the treatment of lack of progesterone. It is costly therapy; you should consult a doctor before starting HRT.