It is common for a woman to experience period symptoms but no bleeding some time during her reproductive years. Between menarche and menopause period, many woman experience premenstrual symptoms such as bloating, abdominal cramps, mood swings etc.
It is natural for a woman to become anxious as the doubt of pregnancy is always hovering in her mind in absence of period. Though, pregnancy is one of the causes, it is not the only one, there are many other reasons attributing to such changes in body.
Symptoms Of Period Without Bleeding
Let us know what are the symptoms experienced by a women before her menses, both at physical and psychological level.The symptoms may vary from one woman to another depending on its severity, duration and onset. Some women may tolerate the symptoms, while for others; these premenstrual symptoms may be unbearable.
Following are the symptoms noted:
- Abdominal cramps.
- Bloating sensation in the abdomen.
- Sore feeling in the breast.
- Thin watery discharge
- Mood change
- Hot flushes.
- Leg pains.
As you know, menstrual cycle occurs due to hormonal changes in a woman’s body, any disturbance of these hormones can delay your period. Woman’s menstrual cycle is divided in three phases. The first phase starts with bleeding and it is called follicular phase.During this phase, both estrogen and progesterone are at low level.
Ovulatory phase is the second phase and during this period, the reproductive hormones are high. Ovary releases egg in ovulatory phase. The third phase is called leuteal phase, if the egg is fertilized during this period and it gets embedded in the uterus there will be no period in the coming days and months. However, if the egg is not fertilized, the level of hormone goes down and body is set for next menses. Period symptoms are related to all the above facts.
Signs Of Period But No Menstruation Causes
As mentioned earlier, a woman may be pregnant if she is sexually active; she may have period symptoms but no bleeding. There are many causes other than pregnancy where she may not get her periods on time even though she may experience it symptoms, and they are:
- Hormonal imbalance when there is thyroid problem. In this disorder there is frequent irregular period.
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome: in this disorder there is increased androgen hormone with cysts in the kidney. Symptoms of this disease such as abdominal pain and mood changes can be mistaken as symptoms of menses.
- Rigorous exercise can delay menstrual bleeding; however she may get period symptoms.
- Anemia: A woman suffering from anemia has low level of hemoglobin, and that is the reason for delay of her periods.
- Psychological stress and strain can cause hormonal changes in the body which can affect in the form of period symptoms but no bleeding.
- A women taking contraceptive pill may find her periods delayed.
- Acute illness such as fever or chronic illness such as diabetes can be causative factor for delaying of bleeding.
- Beginning of menopause which is also called peri-menopause phase can produce such symptoms.
If you are sexually active and you doubt of being pregnant when you experience symptoms of periods but no bleeding, urine pregnancy kit will clear the doubt. Check the morning sample of urine one week after the expected date has passed.
You can also consult your gynecologist for this disorder. If she rules out pregnancy, she may advise some more test which may help to find out the cause.
She may also advise to consult an endocrinologist in case of excessive weight gain or weight loss.