Missed period is the most annoying and worrisome situation a women faces when she is not expecting to remain pregnant.
Pregnancy is not the only reason for missed period; this may bring some comfort to a woman. There are several causes where the periods tend to evade its regularity; we will discuss it further of such conditions:
Reasons For Missed Period Besides Pregnancy
- Hormonal imbalance: many times this is the sole cause for missed periods, estrogen and progesterone levels vary which may cause delay in menstrual cycle.
- Stress and rigorous sports activity: stress may bring several changes in body; hormonal imbalance is one of them.
- Acute illness: periods often get delayed when a woman suffers from an acute disease such as typhoid fever or any other fevers.
- Change in birth control pill: you may have switched to other birth control pill from the one you used to take.
Causes Of A Missed Period Other Than Pregnancy
- Patient who is obese and has polycystic ovarian syndrome: this both causes delay in menstruation especially in young girls.
- A woman who is underweight and anemic: anemia and malnourishment are other causes of missed periods beside pregnancy.
- Peri-menopause and menopause are the most worrisome periods in a women’s life, if she is not taking any contraceptive measures. Missed periods are often caused in peri- menopause periods.