Abdominal pain is the most common complain for which people frequently visit their doctor. Human abdomen is a large area with several vital viscera situated at different locations. Problem in any of these organs can cause pain. Children as well as adults all can suffer from abdominal pain. Normally it can be divided in two sides, left and right side abdominal pain. Most of the causes are similar in men and women, however, some vary due to variation in female anatomy. Depending on which side the pain is, it becomes easy for the physician to diagnose the underlying condition.
Women may experience pain in left side of abdomen due to various reasons. In majority of cases it is self limiting due to conditions such as constipation or gastroenteritis. But there are few serious conditions like ectopic pregnancy which may require quick diagnosis and urgent treatment. Pain can be mild or excruciating and may be sudden in onset or chronic depending on underlying cause.
Causes For Left Side Abdominal Pain In Females
- Ectopic pregnancy: Ectopic pregnancy is pregnancy in which the fetus begins to grow in organs other than the uterus. Usually it occurs in the fallopian tube. If a pregnant women experiences severe excruciating pain in left lower side of abdomen, ectopic pregnancy can be one of the causes. Ectopic pregnancy is medical emergency and the condition requires to be treated urgently as there is risk of rupture and profuse bleeding.
- Pelvic inflammatory diseases such as sexually transmitted diseases can produce pain in left lower side of abdomen in females.
- Endometriosis: It is an abnormal condition in which the uterine lining also grows outside the uterus mostly in adjacent organs such as the fallopian tube and ovaries. It may cause pain in left side of abdomen, especially before and during menstruation.
- Hernia: An obstructed left sided inguinal hernia can cause excruciating pain in lower left side of abdomen in women. It may also produce other symptoms such as vomiting and palpitation.
- Bladder infection: Infection in urinary tract is common among females as compared to males. Pain due to urinary tract infection can be in the lower abdomen, sometimes only in the left side of abdomen.
- Left kidney stone: It may cause excruciating pain in left side of abdomen. Along with pain, the woman may also complain of fever, vomiting, nausea and passage of red urine.
- Gastroenteritis is bacterial infection in the abdomen. It can give rise to pain in left side of abdomen with accompanied symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, fever and dehydration.
- Herpes eruption on left side of abdominal skin can result in pain on left side of abdomen. Herpes is a viral infection caused by vericella virus. In its primary stage she may only complain of pain on left side, but within few days tiny fluid filled blisters develop.
Treatment Options For Left Side Abdominal Pain
Treatment of left sided abdominal pain in women mainly depends on the treating the underlying cause. Prompt medical attention is always needed in any type of abdominal pain. There are some conditions which may be life threatening such as ectopic pregnancy.
In case of gastroenteritis, antibiotics and fluid supplementation is beneficial in treating the condition. Home remedies such as lime juice, buttermilk, yogurt is useful in treating the condition. Patient should drink enough water to replenish lost fluids from the body.
Pain caused due to kidney stones can be temporarily relieved with pain killer medicines. However, to flush out kidney stone several other therapies including homeopathy has proved beneficial. Pariera brava, colocynth, lycopodium, cantharis are few homeopathic medicines which are found useful in treatment of kidney stones.
Bladder infection is cured with suitable antibiotics. Cranberry juice is time tested natural remedy for treating bladder infection. Hernia may need surgical repair.