Fallopian tubes are part of reproductive organs in females. There are two fallopian tubes, each situated on the either side of the abdomen. One end of fallopian tube is connected to the ovaries, while the other end is connected to the uterine body. Each fallopian tube is about 10cm long.
When the ovum (egg) is released from the ovaries, it reaches the fallopian tube. From the fallopian tube the fertilized egg travels and reaches the uterus. Fertilization of ovum (egg) takes place in fallopian tube. The sperm travels all the way from cervix, uterus to the fallopian tube to meet the egg.The egg carries its long journey from the tube to the uterus once it is fertilized. Since fertilization takes place in fallopian tube, any problem in the tube can limit the chances of a woman to become pregnant.
Many problems related to fallopian tube remain undetected due to lack of symptoms; however, fallopian tube pain is one such symptom that is always present with any problem related to the tube. The tubal pain is felt in the lower abdomen. If one tube is affected, the pain felt is unilateral. When both the tubes are affected, pain is present bilaterally.You may like to know the reasons behind fallopian tube pain. Below are given some of the important reasons of fallopian tube pain.
What Are The Causes Of Fallopian Tube Pain?
Following are some of the conditions that can cause pain in fallopian tube:
- Pain at the time of ovulation: it is not a serious condition and many women may experience it. The contraction of fallopian tube in rhythmic motion during the passage of egg may cause pain on both side of the lower abdomen.
- Acute salpingitis: it means inflammation of fallopian tube occurring on account of number of causes. Main reason is infection from bacteria. The infection may ascend from cervix, from adjacent organs, or through the blood stream. Mostly sexually transmitted disease such as gonorrhea is responsible. The other reason may be infection after delivery, abortion. The lower abdomen is extremely tender especially the tubal point.
- Chronic salpingitis: the pain in lower abdomen is vague. There may be associated backache doe to presence of cellular tissue infection in the body.
- Blocked fallopian tube due to scarring from previous infection or operation can cause pain in the fallopian tube. The intensity of pain may differ from one woman to another. A blocked fallopian tube increases the risk of infertility in a woman.
- Ectopic pregnancy: it is considered as one of the major and most serious condition which gives rise to acute pain in fallopian tube. It is a life threatening condition which needs urgent medical attention. In this condition, the egg starts growing inside the tube instead of the uterus. Rupture of the fallopian tube is one of the serious complications of ectopic pregnancy.
Other rare causes include fallopian tube cancer, torsion of fallopian tube etc.
Symptoms Of Pain In Fallopian Tube Area
Fallopian tube pain is itself a symptom of fallopian tube disease. There may be associated symptoms with fallopian tube pain such as:
- Fever with chills.
- Pain in lower abdomen either one sided or on both the sides.
- History of gonorrhea or other sexually transmitted diseases.
- Discharge is either bloody if ectopic pregnancy is present, or purulent if infection is present.
- In serious case such as acute salpingitis and ectopic pregnancy, the abdomen becomes tender and rigid.
- General weakness.
- Fast and thread pulse, with low blood pressure in case of ectopic pregnancy.
- In case of infection, a fluctuating tender bulge can be felt on pelvic examination by the doctor.
Treatment For Fallopian Tube Pain
Since there are several causes for fallopian tube pain, treatment option may vary for different conditions.
- In case of pain due to ovulation, the patient is reassured and if needed she may be given analgesics. She may also be advised rest in bed and drink plenty of water. Many times simple home remedy such as hot fomentation over the area may relieve the pain.
- Ectopic pregnancy is suspected when there is history of missed period and severe pain in the lower abdomen in early days of pregnancy. It is an emergency situation and should be treated urgently. The condition may sometimes become life threatening. Removal of ectopic pregnancy through surgery is the only option. Whenever you feel lower abdominal pain in initial days of pregnancy always consult your gynecologist as soon as possible.
- For acute salpingitis, your physician may advise rest in bed, plenty of fluids, antibiotics, analgesics etc. There should not be any interference in the form of douching etc. Hot fomentation with hot water bottle may relieve the fallopian tube pain.
These are some of the causes, symptoms and treatment options for treating fallopian tube pain, resulting from different conditions. Since fallopian tube pain may indicate life threatening conditions, it is always necessary to consult your doctor whenever there is pain in lower abdomen.