Question: I’m having vaginal discharge since the past 2 years. After my period, I have the discharge for 2 days. I’ve gone to the doctor, but she says there is no problem. How do I treat it?
Answer: What kind of discharge is it? Is it watery, thick, white, curdy, or yellowish? Is there any associated itching or burning? Are you on to any medications for any other disorder?
Many women become panicky when they experience vaginal discharge, but it is necessary to understand that all vaginal discharges are not a health problem.
Vaginal discharge before and after menstrual periods may vary in consistency, it depends on the hormone fluctuation. Estrogen hormone has influence on vaginal discharge. Usually after periods vaginal discharge may be present for few days and it is thick.
In fact the wetness during this period is a sign of ovulation. After ovulation, the discharge starts becoming thicker. But as the period days get nearer, the discharge becomes thin again. Since this is a physiological phenomenon, there is nothing that you can do and it is one way of eradicating bacteria out of vagina.
Some women, suffer from leucorrhoea (vaginal discharge), but, as long as there is no accompanying symptom, it should not be a problem. Also, you have got yourself examined by a gynecologist.
Causes Of Abnormal Vaginal Discharge
When should vaginal discharge be worrisome?
Most of the time vaginal discharge is normal; however in some cases it can indicate an infection. Unlike normal discharge which is white and non odorous, an abnormal discharge is foul smelling and yellow or green in color. Several infective pathogens are responsible for producing foul and yellow or green discharge:
- Trichomoniasis: It is a condition caused due to trichomonus vaginalis parasite. It is a sexually transmitted disease. There is characteristic rotten egg smell in vaginal discharge. The discharge is thick yellow and acrid. There are associated symptoms such as burning and itching in and around vagina. It is also accompanied with backache.
- Yeast infection: The discharge is thick and appears as cottage cheese. It is accompanied with intense itching in vagina with swollen vulva.
- Gonnorhea: It is spread through sexual intercourse with an infected person. It can also spread through contaminated hands and clothes. The discharge is yellow like pus. There is inflammation in vulva and vagina. Patient complains of intense burning during urination.
Home Remedies for Vaginal Discharge after Period
- Take homoeopathic remedy, Lycopodium Clavatum, once a day, 10 days before the period. It will check the leucorrhoea and prevent an infection from occurring.
- Importantly, watch your diet. Stay away from processed and refined food stuff. Let fresh fruits, vegetables, cereals and pulses be the mainstay of your diet. Increase the intake of fruits and salads.
- An effective home remedy is, making fenugreek seed tea, and using it as a vaginal douche, i.e. washing the vagina with the decoction. Boil one cup of water and add a handful of fenugreek seeds, and boil. Strain and cool. Use this as the douche. Fenugreek fights vaginal infections successfully.
- Avoid sexual contact with persons suffering from gonorrhea and trichomoniasis. Avoid having relationship with multiple partners.
- Maintain personal hygiene. Keep vaginal area clean and dry. Wear loose fitting clothes and cotton undergarments. It allows free air movement and restricts growth of bacteria.