What Causes Delayed Menstruation
Most common cause of delayed menstruation in reproducing women is unsuspected pregnancy. If this is not the cause then there are various reasons due to which the menstruation can be delayed. Those above 40 to 45 years can have delayed menstruation due to menopausal age. Menopause is stoppage of menstruation which is common after 40 to 45 years of age. Other than pregnancy and menopause, delayed menstruation can be due to a temporary hormonal imbalance, stress, depression, severe or chronic illness, excessive and extreme weight loss etc. Other possible causes include disorders of the ovaries or uterus (polycystic ovary syndrome), in which there is imbalance of the reproductive hormones.Other cause can be endometriosis where the fragments of the tissue that normally lines the uterus are displaced and attached to the other pelvic organs.
Regular Menstruation Cycle
- Raw beet, beet juice or beet powder is very helpful in regulating all the menstrual problems.
- Diet that causes weight loss is to be completely avoided in under-weights.
- Alternate hot and cold sitz (sitting) baths stimulate pelvic circulation and thus promotes regular menstrual cycle.
Remedies for Delayed Menstruation
- Dong quai tincture is very helpful for this condition, take half a teaspoon three times a day. This should be taken in first two weeks of the menstrual cycle. It helps production of hormones which are important for normal menstruation. Do not take during menstruation or in pregnancy as it may cause bleeding and abortion in case of pregnancy.
- Elecampane is also used in this condition. One tablespoon of elecampane root powder is taken and added to one liter of water. This is boiled and then allowed to cool. Strain the liquid and drink 1 to 2 tablespoons 4 to 5 times in a day.
- Angelica root also helps in starting the menses in case it is delayed. Angelica roots are pounded and this is added to 2 cups of boiling water. Allow it to simmer for 15 minutes and strain the liquid and take 1/2 cup from it 3 to 4 times in a day.