Medifast diet has become popular among many people who are interested in losing weight. It is a prepackaged meal replacement diet, which includes liquids and foods such as soups, shakes, puddings, bars etc. For $300 you will get a whole month worth of meal replacement low calorie diet food. Medifast diet meals has to be consumed five times a day, with a liberty to eat lean meat and greens as the sixth meal as per your choice.
It has been claimed that the dieter can lose up to 20 pounds in one month following medifast diet plan.The basic concept of this diet is that, by eating low calorie (800-1000cal/day) medifast meals, the body utilizes stored fats for its energy requirements and at the same time preserves the muscle mass.
All medifast diet meals are fortified with essential vitamins and minerals. They are made up of low fat and low glycemic index. Many of these different verities of meal are gluten free. Medifast diet is relatively effective amongst many people; however there are many people who have complained about medifast side effects. Medifast diet has been divided into three phases, 5&1 plan, transition and maintenance.
Side Effects Of Medifast Diet For Weight Loss
Medifast diet side effects include:
- Leg cramps: since medifast incorporates low calorie program there are incidences of leg cramps due to low potassium level. However, medifast bouillon soup or cubes have been known to improve the potassium level. But at the same time dieters should be aware that high potassium can affect heart function. For this reason, it is always recommended to ask your doctor before you start such as diet. Drink enough water while following medifast diet, as it may help to reduce the leg cramps.
- Headaches: after beginning medifast diet, headache is a common occurring side effect in the first week. This is due to the fat burning process in the body. If the headache persists for days together, you have to consult your physician.
- Tiredness and dizziness: in the initial phase many people have complained of tiredness and dizziness. It is due to body’s adjustment to the low calories.
- Diarrhea or constipation and gases: digestive disturbances occur in the initial phase, it is attributed to the change in the food pattern.
- Menstrual irregularities: fast weight loss can cause rise in the estrogen level in the blood. This may possibly disturb the menstrual cycle.
- Coldness: person feels cold as a result of low calorie intake.
- Hair loss: it may be a side effect experienced by few individuals who are on the program.
- Skin rash: it may be due to adverse reaction to ingredients present in Medifast diet.
Medifast Diet Cost
The average cost of Medifast food products is about $10 per day. That means for a full month Medifast meals, you have to spend $300. There is no membership fee or enrolment charge. You have to pay only for the Medifast food. A person can choose from various available plans, such as men’s plan, women’s plan, diabetic plan etc. Different choices have same price or an additional $1.50 per day.
Recipes For Medifast Diet
There are several Medifast diet recipes. They can be divided into several categories such as shakes, bars, soft serve, pudding, soups, scrambled eggs, diabetic etc. Even if Medifast diet recipes are ready to eat recipes, they can also be prepared at home.
You need following ingredients for preparing this drink.
- 1 sachet of double Dutch shakes.
- ½ cup of water.
- Ice cubes.
Mix all the three ingredients in a blender for half to one minute. Serve the shake in a glass.
Medifast Tuna salad:
- 1 can of tuna.
- Celery as required.
- ½ cup of dill pickle.
- 3 teaspoon of mayonnaise, low fat.
- 1 cup of sprouts and green salad.
- Bell peppers.
First of all remove the tuna from the can after draining and place it in the bowl. Then dice it with celery and bell pepper. Mix all the ingredients in the bowl. Your tuna salad is ready to eat.