There are several reasons for receding chin or chin looking small and ill defined. If the condition is congenital, other manifestations of Marfan’s Syndrome or Trisomy 21 may be seen. Poor development of lower jaw is also one of the reasons.
Causes Of Receding Chin
- The commonest cause is a congenital defect. This is seen in a condition known as micrognathia, wherein, the lower jaw is smaller in comparison with the upper jaw.
- Trauma during the growing years, particularly to the bone growth centers, may result in constrained development of the mandible (jaw bone).
- It is comparatively rare to see recession of the chin after adolescence. Arthritis of the lower jaw is a common cause.
- Those who have had a portion of the mandible removed due to cancer.
- Certain dental problems may lead to a chin recession.
Receding Chin Surgery And Chin Implant Surgery Cost
The treatment depends up on the underlying cause for the condition. Taking certain medications to stop the progression of the disease helps prevent an aggravation; and may even help in its reversal.
However, congenital cases and cases of malignancy need surgical intervention for their correction.A mandibular advancement surgery and a bilateral sagital split osteotomy are the 2 procedures that are done to manage a receding chin effectively.
In mandibular advancement surgery, bone growth is stimulated via external forces, while, in the bilateral sagital split osteotomy, the mandible is split and advanced forward to make the chin look prominent.
The average cost of the surgery is in the range of $ 2,500 to $12,500. The cost will depend up on various factors: the cause, the medical set up, the doctor, anesthesia charges and laboratory costs, etc.