Skin is an important organ that covers the whole body. It is a protective barrier for internal tissues and organs. The thickness of this dynamic organ may vary according to gender, age and site. Male skin is slightly thicker than females; however, with growing age the skin is prone to become thin and fragile in both the genders.
This may lead to range of problems such as dryness, itching and peeling. To its extreme the skin may break and tear leading to wound and skin infection. You can prevent and control undesirable skin thinning when you are young by taking care of your skin if you know the causes that leads your skin to become thin and fragile.
What Causes Thin Fragile Skin?
There are wide spectrum of causes that may be responsible for skin thinning and its fragility. It may range from physiologic changes that occur in old age or damage caused due to overexposure to sun or due to a disease condition. Important causes of thin fragile skin are:
- Age: Aging is the principle cause of skin thinning. As you grow older the skin loses its elasticity due to loss of collagen fibers and elastin in deeper layer of skin. Both are proteins that keep your skin elastic and firm. In old age the subcutaneous fat also diminishes. All this factors makes your skin thin, fragile and saggy.
- Sun exposure: Too much exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays of sun can diminish collagen and elastin fibers in the dermis layer of skin. This can lead to skin thinning and fragility.
- Dry Skin: Dehydrated and dry skin is more prone to become thin and fragile as compared to well hydrated and moist skin.
- Medications: Certain medications especially steroids are known to cause skin thinning. Corticosteroids taken for long duration can have adverse effect on your skin. The top layer of skin gets atrophied as steroids weaken the blood vessels supplying blood to the skin layers.
- Inadequate nutrition: Reduced protein intake or deficiency of vitamins and minerals can have detrimental effect on your skin. If the deficiency lasts for a long period, it can affect skin elasticity.
- Medical conditions: Medical disorders such as Cushing syndrome, Ehler’s-Danlos syndrome, Frohlich syndrome, Cockayne syndrome etc can have thin fragile skin as one of its symptoms.
- Genetics: Genetics factor cannot be neglected as many people tend to have thin and fragile skin at younger age if they inherit the certain genes responsible for it from their parents.
- Environmental pollution: Exposure to environmental fumes and dust, pesticides, extreme of climate, cigarette smoking can damage your skin elasticity.
What Does Thin Fragile Skin Look Like?
You can easily make out whether your skin is thick or thin. As your skin become thin and fragile it loses its shine and sheen. It appears dull, dry and wrinkled. It becomes saggy and non elastic. Underneath your skin the blood vessels are more visible and fragile.
Slightest trauma can cause bruising. The bruises under the skin are not painful and last longer. The sun exposed area may demonstrate many other changes such as pigmentation, premature wrinkling, tiny blood red spots, etc. Itching is common when your skin becomes thin. The important symptom of thin skin is it breaks and tears easily.
Home Remedies To Prevent And Treat Fragile Thin Skin
No one is able to stop aging process, but certainly to an extent you can find ways to prevent and reduce skin thinning by avoiding triggering factors. Proper care and nourishment of skin is important element of treatment.
- Skin care: Skin care is as much important as taking care of inner body organs. Prevent it from sun damage by applying sun proof lotions when you go out in sun. Wear long sleeve apparels and wear a hat to shield your skin from UV rays of sun when you go out in sun.
- Drink enough water to keep it well hydrated and moist.
- Eat foods that have rich nutrient value. Vitamins, minerals and protein have great role to play in keeping your skin healthy and well toned. Fish, flax seeds, are useful for maintain good collagen tissue.
- Massage your skin at regular intervals as nourishes and strengthens your skin. Massage your skin with almond oil or coconut oil. Both are good moisturizers. They also contain other substances which are useful for skin nourishment.
- Talk to your doctor if you are taking certain drugs such as steroids.