There are a wide range of causes that are responsible for red spots on the arms which itch. Raised or elevated red spots on the arm are often indicative of an insect bite and are associated with profound itching. However flat and irregular red spots on the arm are indicative of an allergic reaction or a contact dermatitis.
Further red spots with bacterial infection are often observed among diabetic patients and are referred to as carbuncle. Self care is effective in management of these spots but prompt diagnosis is essential. The underlying cause of the red and brown spots needs to be identified for effective management of the condition.
Causes Of Red Spots On Arms And Hands
Itchy red spots on the arms can be attributed to the following conditions,
- Plain red and elevated spots on the arms are often indicative of an insect bite. These spots are associated with severe itching which is transient and tends to resolve within a few minutes.
- Plain red spots with flat surface can be attributed to an allergic reaction. The allergic reaction often is not restricted to the arm but tends to spread to other parts of the body.
- Another common cause of red spots on the skin in petichae or bleeding of capillaries located under the skin. Excessive strain may result in rupture of these tiny blood vessels which in turn may result in red spots on the arms. However in most cases, these red spots are painless and not associated with any form of itching
- Carbuncles or boils are another common cause of red spots on the arms. Boils are associated with bacterial infection which may result in red spots, with severe itching and accumulation of pus. Carbuncles are more common among diabetics, especially those with uncontrolled blood sugar levels. These red spots are often very painful
- Another common cause of red spots on the arms is cellulitis. Cellulitis refers to the inflammation of the skin surface due to bacterial infection and tends to spread rapidly to other parts of the arm. Cellulites of often associated with a cut or a bruise to the skin surface. Cellulitis is a very painful condition.
Home Remedies For Spots On Arms
The treatment of red spots on the arms depend upon the cause,
- Increase the intake of citrus fruits namely lemon, lime, oranges, etc. These foods are rich in Vitamin C and strengthen the immunity and prevent occurrence of skin infections.
- Local application of honey with a few drops of lemon juice is also very beneficial. Honey is an anti-bacterial and controls the spread of bacterial infections while lemon soothes the skin
- Local application of turmeric powder is also helpful. Similar to honey, turmeric is a strong anti-microbial and controls the spread of bacterial infections
- Increase the intake of foods rich in iron and Vitamin A. Vitamin A is responsible for healthy skin tone while iron helps improve blood quality, which in turn helps prevent hemorrhage and bleeding spots. Increase intake of carrots, capsicum, and green leafy vegetables, dairy products like milk and low fat butter and yoghurt.