Red ants are also known as fire ants. As the name suggests, its bite causes an intolerable burning sensation in your body with hives and swelling.
Red Ant Bites
Red ants always live in colonies. They are often found in gardens, in farms and other moist places. If you disturb their colony, red ant bites you all over the body as they crepe along your body.
Red ants contains venom known as piperidine, it is an alkaloid having a high pH. Piperidine is related to an alkaloid found in black pepper called piperine. Now you can understand the effect of red ant bite!
Symptoms Of Fire Ant Bites
As the ant crepes on your body, it holds onto the skin and injects the venom.The burning and itching sensation will make you aware of its bite. After a day of its bite, fluid filled boils may erupt on the site which may itch and burn for few days.
Watch out for an allergic reaction. Symptoms are excessive sweating, breathlessness and thickening of lips and tongue.
Treatment For Red Ant Bites
- Remove the red ants out of your body with the help of a brush or a towel.
- Wash the bite instantly with cold water.
- Disinfect the bite area with an antiseptic solution.
- If needed, antihistamines may be necessary for itching and burning.
- Cover the bite area with a gauze and do not scratch, or else it may get infected.
Home Remedies For Ant Bites
- Apply aloe vera gel on the site of red ant bite. It will give a soothing effect to the skin and reduce itching.
- A paste made from baking soda and water is good remedy to decrease itching and swelling.
- You can also apply extracts of fruits.
- Another good home remedy for red ant bites is applying wet tea bag. It absorbs the acidic content and brings relief from burning and itching.