For many men shaving beard is the first ritual of the day soon after sunrise. A clean shaven face leaves good impression at workplace and in society at large. Shaving with razor is easiest and inexpensive method of removing hairs from face and from the neck. Unfortunately, for many men it is a frustrating endeavor as their facial skin becomes red and raw due to razor burn.
Razor burn and bumps is common side effect of shaving. Razor burn appears soon after shaving. For some men it causes horrible itching and burning sensation on face and neck, while some men may have red rash in milder form.In severe cases razor burns can turn into razor bumps (ingrown hair).
Razor burns on neck not only produces itching and pain, but it is unsightly till the burns heal. If you use basic skills while shaving it will help to prevent razor burns on neck. Home remedies will enhance healing of razor burns.
Causes Of Razor Burn On Neck After Shaving
As compared to face, neck is often a tricky area to shave. For some it may be a difficult area for close shave and for many others it may be an area more prone to razor burns with red rashes, itching, cuts and razor bumps.Neck is not a flat area. There are curves and angles which makes shaving difficult for a person.
Besides there are other causes which makes neck more susceptible to razor burns. The main reason for razor burns is irritation of skin of neck and face due to improper shaving regimen.
- If you are using shaving cream and soaps which irritate your skin.
- Using dull razor blades or much used blades which has lost its sharpness.
- If you are not using shaving cream or any other substance which helps to glide the razor over the neck skin.
- Shaving against the grain and opposite direction of hair growth.
- Use of excessive pressure while shaving.
How To Prevent Razor Burn On Neck?
- The blade of razor should be sharp. Avoid razor which has become dull. Change the razor blades at least once in a week. Clean the blade once you have finished shaving.
- Your neck skin is sensitive therefore apply thick shaving cream and let the cream remain for three minutes before you begin to shave.
- Shaving in the direction of hair growth reduces chances of razor burns. Shave in the direction of hair growth in neck rather than in opposite direction.
- Wash the blades of razor between shaving strokes to prevent uneven cutting.
- Before shaving use warm water to moisten the area. Shaving in running shower is more better as it softens the hair.
- Splash your face and neck with cold water after shaving as this will constrict the skin and close the pores.
Home Remedies To Heal Razor Burn Faster
If you have suffered razor burns use home remedies which may encourage early healing.
- Aloe vera gel is time tested home remedy for minor burns. Apply aloe vera gel on the neck area and gently massage it. The itching, burning and irritation will reduce instantly after application of the gel. Besides it contains substances which will help the healing process.
- Facial mask prepared from oat meal is excellent natural remedy for razor burns. If you are suffering from razor burn on neck, mix small amount of oat meal in cold milk until it forms uniform paste. Apply the prepared paste on neck area. Let it remain for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
- You can also apply an antibiotic cream over the area to reduce the risk of infection and early healing.
- If razor burn is severe you can apply over the counter hydrocortisone cream for early healing of rash, itching and burning sensation.