Eczema is a skin condition characterized by rash with itching, burning and swelling with presence of cracks and fissures at later stage. It is a chronic condition. There are several forms of eczema. Pompholyx eczema is one such type where the rash and other symptoms are restricted to hands and feet.
In majority of cases, this dermatological condition is characterized by itching, redness, irritation and formation of tiny fluid filled blisters mostly on the palms, sides of fingers and on the soles. Pompholyx eczema is common in people below the age of 40.
In the beginning, patient experiences itching and burning in palms and fingers or the sole. Later on tiny fluid filled blisters develop. The blisters coalesce to form large blisters which break and discharge fluid. Over a period of time, the skin becomes dry with cracks and fissures.
Cracks and fissures increase risk of infection. Although eczema is a chronic skin condition without complete cure, there are several natural remedies to which the condition responds quickly.
What Are The Causes Of Pompholyx Eczema?
The precise cause of pompholyx eczema like any other form of eczema is not known.However, there are several factors which are believed to be responsible for triggering or aggravating the condition. Contact with certain metals such as nickel and copper, perfumes and chemicals, are most suspected reasons.
Emotional stress, extreme heat and profuse sweating in palms and sole are also involved to cause pompholyx eczema in certain group of people. At least half the people suffering from pompholyx eczema are known to have atopic eczema or there may be strong family history of asthma, hives and atopic dermatitis.
Often pompholyx eczema and fungus infection are present together. Therefore it is necessary to check for fungal infection in all patients suffering from this variety of eczema.
Pompholyx eczema is slightly more common in women than men. The reason may be that women frequently come in contact with water, detergents and soaps while doing household work. Pompholyx eczema is often observed in warm climates during summer and spring.
Natural Remedies For Pompholyx Eczema
Pompholyx eczema is diagnosed by its appearance during clinical examination by a dermatologist. Firstly any triggering cause, a contact material which leads to pompholyx eczema should be avoided. It is essential part of treatment. Several home measures are useful in alleviating the outbreaks.
- Aloe vera gel is a natural home remedy as it has soothing effect on skin. It reduces skin inflammation and itching. Besides it has a mild antiseptic property which is beneficial for preventing infection. Apply aloe gel on fingers and palms at night before sleeping.
- Vinegar is time tested natural home remedy for alleviating discomforting symptoms of eczema, which also includes pompholyx eczema. Prepare a weak solution of vinegar by mixing one teaspoon in a jar containing water. Soak your hands or feet in it for 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat it daily for few days or until the condition has healed.
- If the skin has begun to peel and become dry, use of natural emollient is extremely beneficial to improve the condition. Apply olive oil or coconut oil on palms and fingers or on the soles.
- Potassium permanganate soaks: It is beneficial when the blisters are oozing and crusty. Soak your hand or sole in a solution of potassium permanganate. The solution is easy to prepare. Put few grains of potassium permanganate in a jar containing water. Mix the solution till it becomes violet.
- In case if the blisters release pus and pompholyx eczema is infected, patient requires antibiotics to treat the infection. A course of antibiotics for few days will alleviate the condition.
- Wear cotton socks and avoid wearing tight footwear.
- Avoid direct contact with soaps and detergents. Wear cotton or rubber gloves while washing and cleaning.