What Causes Nighttime Itching
- Medical or psychological issues are what causes severe itchy skin at night.
- People who sweat or perspire a lot during the night can have extreme itching as they sleep.
- Eczema or psoriasis conditions can cause pruritus or itchy skin.
- Emotional problems or stress can cause tortuous and destructive itching that can lead to ripping skin open.
- Allergens can cause itching. Perfumes or dyes in bedding or laundry soaps can precipitate itching.
Intense, Severe Itchy Skin Treatments
- It is important to differentiate and determine whether the itch is related to a true medical issue or a psychological or nervous habit.
- Many times one itchy spot develops into a viscous cycle of excessive itching and scratching at night that can have serious consequences on the skins integrity.
- Relaxation techniques such as deep breathing can be a beneficial treatment for night time itching, regardless of the cause.
- If the cause of the itch is due to eczema or psoriasis there are some natural treatments that can provide relief.
- A warm bath with oatmeal before bed is soothing to red, scaly, patches. Oatmeal naturally helps the body retain water and decreases drying and tightness that precipitates the itching.
- Vitamin E is excellent for soothing dry and irritated skin. Cool compresses may help the frustrating itchiness.
- Whether the cause is medical or psychological, oral antihistamines can be helpful to promote rest and decrease the scratching.
- Chamomile tea at bedtime will help to naturally relax the body and mind.
- A few drops of lavender oil on your pillow or bedding will calm and soothe the soul.
- Avoid rough, scratchy materials in night clothing. Cotton is light, soft, and comfortable against the skin.
- Keep the body hydrated with fresh water to eliminate dry skin.