Lanolin is a natural byproduct which is acquired during wool production and also referred to as wool wax or wool grease. There are several claims that lanolin has moisturizing properties and hence is considered highly effective in the management of a wide range of skin ailments. It is also a part of various beauty products. This article provides information about side effects associated with lanolin.
Used as a moisturizing agent Lanolin is present in creams, makeup, baby oils, shaving creams, lotions and a host of beauty and skin products. In general Lanolin is considered safe for local application on the skin, however in some individuals; it can be associated with certain side effects.
Lanolin Side Effects
One of the most commonly observed side effects of using products containing lanolin is that it may result in skin reactions. These skin reactions are often not very severe, but can be associated with considerable amount of distress among the user. The characteristic symptoms associated with skin reactions include,
- Severe burning and redness of the skin.
- Irritation of the skin along with a burning and stinging sensation.
- Occasionally, it may result in skin softening which in turn is associated with a sensation of sogginess of the skin.
- Severe skin irritation may result in elevated sensation of itching, which in turn increases the risk of developing skin infections, especially if the skin is scratched.
- Some individuals have also reported that the tone of the skin tends to fade or become lighter.
Though most of these symptoms are transient in nature and tend to resolve within a few hours or a couple of days, serious symptoms should be reported to healthcare providers and immediate medical attention should be sought.
Side Effects Of Lanolin Cream
Though relatively less frequently observed, some individuals may have severe allergic reactions in response to local application of Lanolin cream. Some of the common symptoms observed in cases of Lanolin cream application include,
- Rash may develop all over the body including the neck, face, arms. In most cases, these rash are restricted to the portion of the body where the cream is applied, however in cases of severe allergic reactions, the rash may develop on other parts of the body.
- In cases of severe allergic reactions symptoms like swelling of the tongue and throat which is associated with difficulty in swallowing.
- Breathlessness or difficulty in breathing is also observed in some of the individuals.
- Dizziness and Headaches may be experienced by some individuals.
- In extremely severe cases, anaphylactic shock may set in which requires immediate medical attention and can be life threatening condition.
Harmful Effects Of Lanolin
Occasionally accidental ingestion of lanolin can result in lanolin poisoning which is a serious medical condition. The symptoms associated with lanolin poisoning include nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. The skin may also get inflamed and is associated with severe irritation.
Immediate medical attention should be sought in cases of accidental ingestion of lanolin. Often induced vomiting can help eliminate the ingested lanolin, however it is not recommended to induce vomiting without the instruction of the medical professional or the poison control center. Induce vomiting can be harmful and associated with complications like gastric rupture or internal bleeding.