Skin itching is the most annoying complaint which often interferes with our regular activity and sleep. You can imagine how troubling skin itching may be from the amount of advertisement of the commercial products this symptoms has inspired, and the number of panacea it has brought forth. Being the largest and most exposed organ of the body, skin is faced with many problems and itching is one of the prominent one.
Skin itching is a symptom and scratch marks are its signs. Itching is more common in skin folds such as in neck area.
What Causes Dry Itchy Skin On Neck?
Skin around the neck is susceptible to various changes in atmosphere, pollution, allergic reaction from various materials, rough clothing, accumulation of dirt and dust in absence of regular bathing. All this conditions are triggering factors for itchy skin around the neck. Besides, skin diseases and systemic disease can also cause itchy skin around the neck and in other skin folds.
- Summer pruritus: itchy skin around the neck is fairly common complaint in summer season, especially in hot tropical countries. Profuse sweating, prickly heat, dusty environment, poor hygiene, wearing tight collar shirts are some of the causes to trigger itchy skin in neck area.
- Obesity: people who are obese are more vulnerable to skin itching around the neck. This is because of many skin folds in neck region in such individuals. Excess perspiration adds to the problem.
- Allergy: allergy to ornaments and jewelry worn around the neck resulting in contact dermatitis is a cause for constant itching and rash around the neck area. Allergy to harsh chemicals used in soaps is also a cause for itching around the neck.
- Winter dryness: skin around the neck may become dry as a result of cold winter climate. Also sometime woolen clothing worn around the neck in winter months can be a cause for itchy in neck area.
- Mosquito bite or a bug bite in neck can cause itching in neck region.
- Skin diseases such as ringworm, lichen planus, urticaria, scabies, psoriasis, fungus infection, eczema etc around the neck can cause itching in neck.
- Too much exposure to sun, stress, and dehydration are some other causes responsible for itchy skin around the neck.
In absence of all the above factors, psychogenic cause should be considered.
Home Remedies For Itchy Skin Rashes Around Neck
Skin itching around the neck though an annoying problem can be controlled with time tested home remedies.
- Mix sandalwood powder and rose water till it forms a smooth paste. Apply it on the itchy area. It soothes the skin around the neck and reduces itching.
- Trim your finger nails so that you may not break your skin when you scratch. Though it is difficult, try to avoid scratching the skin.
- Remove the exciting factor. You should wear proper clothing not too tight as it may hurt the neck and prevent free circulation of air. Wear cotton clothing.
- Keep your neck clean, take lukewarm baths daily.
- Oatmeal baths is an effective ways to treat any type of itching anywhere on skin.
- Drink enough water to keep your skin well moisturized. Dry skin itches more.
- Take simple food, void oily and spicy food that causes excess of perspiration and avoid alcohol.
- Keep your bowels clean.
- Apply baking soda powder or prepare a paste of baking soda by mixing it in water. Apply it on the itchy portion of neck. It is soothing for the skin.
- Apply chamomile tea or olive oil on the affected portion of neck. It gives soothing effect to the skin.