When your skin is healthy and well hydrated it appears fresh, smooth and supple. A dehydrated skin appears rough and dull, sometimes even cracked. It is very important to keep your skin moisturized since skin acts as a barrier against infection. If your skin is dry and cracked, the bacteria that inhabit on the skin’s surface get a chance to enter into your body, causing infection.
If your skin is not well hydrated it is more susceptible to inflammatory skin diseases. The natural process of exfoliation may be disturbed with dry and dehydrated skin.Thus optimum level of skin hydration in all seasons is essential for overall skin health, besides its look and texture.
For beautiful and healthy skin, you need to keep it moisturized no matter what season it is, because hydration is critical for your skin. Use of moisturizer provides deep hydration for the skin. It can make your skin glow and shine. Moisturizers are of two types, humectants and emollients. Humectants draw water from deeper layers of skin and bring it to the top layer for nourishment and hydration. It also absorbs moisture from air if the climate is humid.
Emollients prevent loss of moisture from the surface of skin and keep the skin smooth and soft. There are several commercial moisturizers available in stores, however, homemade natural moisturizers and body lotions are equally effective to maintain proper skin hydration.
Natural Ways To Keep Your Skin Hydrated
Below are given important natural ways to keep your skin hydrated:
- Drink water: Drinking enough water throughout the day is the best and easiest way to keep your skin hydrated. Drink at least 8 to 9 glasses of water in a day.
- Coconut or olive oil: Both these oils are available in your kitchen. Apply any of these oils all over the body at least 3 to 4 days in a week for excellent soothing effect on your skin. Massage it liberally for few minutes. The oil gets absorbed into the skin. These oil locks moisture and supplies vital vitamin to skin such as vitamin E and A.
- Milk or butter milk: Apply any one over your skin or the affected dry area of skin. Keep it for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse it off with lukewarm water. Take shower soon after it. Milk and butter milk both are natural ingredients that will keep the skin well hydrated for long time.
- Use gentle soap: Use soaps that contain natural substances that will help to keep your skin smooth and supple. An ingredient such as aloe vera in soaps is beneficial for improving skin texture. Avoid soaps which contain harsh chemicals that strip away natural oils from the skin and make your skin rough and dry.
- Cocoa butter: Apply cocoa butter gently over the skin. Cocoa butter is naturally extracted from cocoa seeds. It contains saturated fats and polyphenols which have anti inflammatory properties. Saturated fats increases moisture and hydrate the skin. Cocoa butter is also useful to reverse the early damage caused to the skin from too much exposure to sun rays.
- Hot water baths: Avoid taking bath in hot water for too long as it is known to strip oils from the skin making your skin dry and rough. Instead use lukewarm water.
- Honey: It is one of the best skin care products nature has given to humankind. It is a natural hydrating agent for skin. Honey also has some amount of anti bacterial effect. Apply honey over the dry patch of skin and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes before you wash it off with lukewarm water. Follow this procedure for 2 to 3 days in a week.
- Eat Omega 3 foods: Omega 3 fatty acids are used by the body to provide essential oil for the skin. Eat foods that are high in omega3 fatty acids. Flax seeds, fish, nuts etc are high in omega 3 fatty acids.