There are three different types of sweat glands in human body, namely the apocrine gland, eccrine gland and sebaceous glands. Hidradenoma of skin is a tumor originating from apocrine or eccrine sweat gland of skin. It is a benign solitary tumor and occurs as a slow growing node. Hidradenoma usually develops in the region of head and neck in young people.
The etiopathogenesis of hidradenoma of skin is not known, but it is believed to develop from a nevus. Most of the time hidradenoma of skin does not require any specific treatment as it is benign in nature.However, some people may not like the node for cosmetic reasons. In such case complete surgical removal of the nodule gives permanent cure.
What Causes Hidradenoma Of Skin?
As mentioned earlier, no one knows the reason for development of hidradenoma of skin. It is a rare skin tumor, believed to develop due to nevus, a benign skin lesion. Nevus is the sole risk factor identified till now. The skin lesion can occur at any age but usually the node is observed in young and people between the age of 30 to 50 years.
Sometimes children do suffer from hidradenoma of skin, but in rare cases. The disease is prevalent equally in males as well as females. Hidradenoma of skin can develop people of all origin. People of all races and in any part of world can develop this skin condition.
Symptoms Of Hidradenoma Of Skin
Hidradenoma of skin is a slow growing nodule. The distinct sign and symptoms are as follows:
- The condition can occur in people between the age of 30 to 50 years. Rarely is it seen in children.
- The slowly enlarging tumor is single entity, a firm tumor to feel just underneath the upper layer of skin.
- The size of tumor may range from 5 to 30 mm.
- The nodule is not painful and it is non itching.
- Pigmentation may be present in some nodes.
- The tumor is mainly present in head and neck region and sometimes on the eye. In rare cases the tumor may be present in other anatomical areas of body such as the trunk, back, thigh and arms.
- Malignant transformation of the tumor is very rare. In such case the lesion may ulcerate.
Diagnosis And Treatment Of Hidradenoma Of Skin
Following methods help in diagnosis of hidradenoma of skin:
- Medical history and clinical examination.
- The dermatologists or the skin specialist observes the growth locally with the help of a special magnified lens. This procedure is called dermoscopy.
- Skin biopsy: Skin biopsy is confirmative test for diagnosis of hidradenoma of skin. It is a small procedure where a piece of biopsy material is taken the sent to the laboratory for analysis and evaluation. After examining the material under microscope the pathologist may arrive at definitive diagnosis of hidradenoma of skin.
Hidradenoma of skin is a benign skin condition. Usually the tumor does not require any treatment and it may be left as it is, once the condition is diagnosed. However, sometimes the tumor becomes bothersome if the skin overlying it may ulcerate.
Some people may also not like because of cosmetic reasons. In such case treatment consists of surgical excision of the tumor. Follow up is necessary even after removal of the tumor.