Freckles are hyper-pigmented spots on skin surface, mostly seen in fair skinned individuals. They are flat brown circular spots varying in size, but majority of them are small like pin head. They appear in clusters especially on exposed areas of the body such as the forehead, nose, shoulder, neck and arms. These tanned spots contain more melanin pigment than other skin cells therefore they appear darker.
In fact freckles occur as a result of skin damage caused by excessive exposure to UV rays of sun. The function of melanin pigment is to give color to the skin and to protect the skin from sun rays.When skin is exposed to too much of sunlight for prolonged period of time, melanocyte, the cells which manufacture melanin pigment begins to produce more melanin which gives it a darker shade. Freckles result due to uneven distribution of melanin pigment.
Freckles are commonly seen in children and adolescent, but they may also appear in elderly. Freckles on forehead especially appear among adolescent and younger generation. Hereditary, hormonal changes during puberty are said to be the factors that may be responsible for it, especially when their skin is overexposed to sunlight. These brown spots do not pose any risk to health, but many people consult their doctor for cosmetic reasons, especially when freckles are on forehead.
How To Get Rid Of Freckles On Forehead?
Freckles generally are harmless and they are not any type of skin disease. With growing age they may disappear. They appear among individuals having fair skin, those who have less number of photoprotective melanin pigments.
Dermatologists usually remove freckles on forehead with various treatments such as microdermabrasion, chemical peel or with laser. There are various other home remedies aside from normal dermatological techniques to remove freckles.
- Laser treatment: With laser the blood vessels underneath freckles are burned. Thus they fade or are completely removed. Laser treatment is safe and it does not cause any damage to the skin. However, for a time being the patient may have redness and irritation of skin. Laser is administered for 3 to 5 minutes on the skin surface. It may take 3 to 4 sessions to remove them.
- Chemical peel: It is another frequent technique used by patients to remove or lessen the appearance of freckles. Peeling takes away the superficial layer of skin and thus freckles become lighter. After one session of peeling the skin may take 2 to 3 days to heal. This procedure is done by an expert dermatologist.
- Dermabrasion: In this procedure tiny particles are used to exfoliate the upper layer of skin. It may need several repetitions. Freckles usually are removed or lightened with this treatment. It is more successful when the skin damage due to overexposure to sun is to lesser extent.
Natural Remedies To Treat Freckles
Before using any home remedies it is of prime importance to reduce overexposure to sun rays. So always use a sunscreen before going out in sun.
- Lemon juice: This fruit juice is considered to be an effective natural bleaching agent. Lemon juice is more effective in freckles caused naturally rather than those due to overexposure to sunlight. Collect two to three table spoon of lemon juice in a bowl. Soak a cotton ball and apply the juice on forehead. Take precautions to prevent lemon juice entering the eyes. Rub the soaked cotton ball on forehead and let the juice remain for ten minutes. Rinse your forehead with cool water. Follow the procedure three to four times in a week to remove freckles on forehead.
- Milk: Lactic acid in milk is another natural chemical which helps to fade freckles anywhere on skin surface, including forehead. Apply milk directly on your forehead. Use a cotton ball for this purpose. Wash the area with water after few minutes. Milk will not only lighten freckles on forehead but it will make your skin supple and glowing.
- Honey is another useful product in nature’s basket to remove and lighten freckles on forehead. Apply a thin layer of honey on forehead. After 10 minutes wash the area with water. Regular application will help to fade freckles on forehead and even on face. You can opt for honey and yogurt mixture instead of plain honey.