Freckles are tiny brown spots most often seen in people having fair complexion. Freckles appear in clusters on the skin, predominantly on areas exposed to sun. These tiny flat tanned circular spots are harmless but many people find them embarrassing especially when they are present on visible parts of body.
Freckles can develop anywhere on the body including chest. The chest area exposed to sunlight is prone to develop freckles. These tiny brown spots occur due to abnormal distribution of melanin pigments in the skin. Melanin is a pigment which gives color to the skin.It is produced by melanocytes cells in the inner layer of skin called dermis.
Melanin protects the skin from sun damage. If you are exposed to sunlight, the pigment cells increases production of melanin pigment. Freckles occur when the melanin pigments increases unevenly on the surface of skin.
What Causes Freckles To Appear On Chest?
Freckles usually are common on face, arms and neck but they may also appear on chest. Freckles can develop at any age, but freckles on chest are predominantly seen in adults. Women tend to develop more than males. There is some factor of hormonal changes and hereditary associated with it.
Women who wear bikini and bathe in sunlight frequently have freckles on their chest. It is due to excessive sun exposure. Freckles are also associated with hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy and puberty.
Genetics may also be responsible for freckles. Thus hereditary can be a factor for its development. In such cases freckles become more pronounced if the skin is exposed to sunlight. Fair skinned individuals are more likely to have freckles on their skin, especially those with blue eyes and red hair.
Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Freckles On Chest
Freckles are harmless hyper pigmentation on skin. However, many people prefer to remove them for cosmetic reasons. There are several appropriate treatments in modern medicine to get rid of freckles on chest such as bleaching, laser, cryosurgery and chemical peels. But all these treatment measures need a specialist hand and that may be too expensive.
Several home remedies surprisingly are as effective in getting rid of freckles or at least lighten them. You can try these remedies before you decide for other procedures like laser or chemical peel. Before starting any treatment you have take care to reduce sun exposure. Cover your chest with clothes when you are out in sunlight. Apply sunscreen on your skin when you go out in sun.
- Apply sour milk or sour cream to remove freckles on chest. Sour milk contains lactic acid. It inhibits an enzyme called tyrosinase which is responsible for production of melanin pigment. Lactic acid thus decreases overproduction of melanin pigment and thus prevents hyper pigmented spots such as freckles. Apply and keep sour milk mask for 10 to 15 minutes before washing the area with water. You can also use yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent. Citric acid present in lemon is beneficial to lighten the dark brown spots on chest. Orange juice or lime juice also contains citric acid. Prepare a paste by mixing lemon juice and honey. Apply it on the chest where you have freckles. Leave the paste to dry for 15 minutes. Wash the area with water.
- Extract of licorice root is well known natural remedy to remove freckles. It contains a chemical called glabridin which is effective in preventing excess production of melanin pigments. Mix licorice extract and almond oil in a bowl and store it in a bottle. With a cotton ball apply it daily on the chest area having freckles. Wash your chest with water after 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cucumber is one of the important home remedy for freckles. Apply cucumber juice on your chest. Let it remain for 30 minutes before you wash the area with water.
- Mulberries extract consist hydroquinone in its natural form. This chemical restricts over production of melanin pigments. Apply mulberry extract and licorice extract in equal parts over the chest area. You can store these extracts in refrigerator.