Dandruff is the most common skin disorder affecting many people all over the world. It is characterized by shedding of dry, white shiny skin flakes. Dandruff is commonly seen on scalp, but sometimes it is also present on other area such as eyebrows and eyelashes. Basically it is shedding of dead skin cells more than normal. When large amount of dead skin is shed it leaves behind red, tender and irritated skin. Wide variety of skin conditions such as fungus infection, eczema, psoriasis, and dry skin can cause dandruff.
This skin condition is not dangerous, but when present especially on eyebrows it can affect a person’s social life and self esteem as dandruff is visible on eyebrows.Dandruff is chronic skin condition. It may recede after the treatment but may flare up again. There are several effective natural remedies to treat dandruff on eyebrows. Whenever you use these remedies, you have to use them also on scalp as in most cases scalp dandruff is present.
What Causes Dandruff In Eyebrows?
Dandruff on eyebrows can occur due to many causes;
- Patient suffering from certain skin ailments such as eczema, seborrheic dermatitis can produce dry flaky white skin on scalp as well as on the eyebrows.
- Malassezia a type of yeast is mainly responsible for dandruff on scalp and on eyebrows. This fungus dries up the skin and reduces oil content. It leads to shedding of dry dead skin cells.
- People suffering from psoriasis of scalp and eyebrows have rapid production of skin cells. Build up of skin cells leads dandruff.
- Dandruff is more common in winter months when the climate is dry with low humidity. The skin during this season becomes dry and this may aggravate dandruff production.
- Many women use cosmetic products on face. Often such products produce allergic reaction. It may lead to dandruff on scalp and eyebrows.
Symptoms Of Dandruff On Eyebrows
The symptoms of dandruff on eyebrows mainly depend on the condition involved. Usually dandruff in most patients is symptomless except for the apparent white flakes. In some cases patient may complain of itching and skin irritation. Especially if there is underlying skin disease such as psoriasis or eczema.
Severe dandruff on eyebrows can lead to hair loss, inflammation, crusts on skin, and redness. The eyebrows get swollen and inflamed due to scratching. Usually dandruff in eyebrows goes hands in hand with scalp dandruff. In fact patient having dandruff on eyebrows and lashes always have scalp dandruff.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Eyebrow Dandruff
Eyebrow dandruff is difficult to cure, however with home remedies and conventional treatment the condition can be controlled effectively. Persistent follow up will help ultimately help the condition to remain subdued for a long period of time.
- Scrub your eyebrows gently with your finger tips while washing your face. It will help in removing the white flakes of dead skin cells. You can also use soft bristle tooth brush to scrub the area.
- Lemon juice is time tested home remedy for removing dandruff from eyebrows. The acidic nature of lemon will help to fight against fungus and yeast that produce dandruff.
- Fenugreek is another remedy to remove dandruff from eyebrows. It acts as an exfoliant because it has rough texture. The amino acid a type of protein present in fenugreek helps to nourish the skin. Healthy eyebrow skin becomes resistant to outside infective germs that are known to trigger dandruff.
- Keep your eyebrows well moisturized. Dry skin is one of the causes for eyebrow dandruff. You can apply petroleum jelly to the affected area after soon after bathing. You can also try coconut oil as it is a natural moisturizer frequently used for treating dry skin. Apply the oil on both the eyebrows daily.
- Wash your eyebrows and scalp with dandruff shampoos if all the natural remedies does not help in controlling the dandruff.