Having beautiful skin is something that pleases everyone’s eye. In our society today, external beauty is much more appreciated. Many people consider smooth, supple and lustrous skin as a statement of beauty and youth. Dehydrated skin can make you look older then you are. Skin dehydration is common issue experienced by many.
Your skin can become dehydrated due to lack of water and moisture in the skin cells. Contrary to the belief your skin can become dehydrated throughout the year and is not limited to particular season, although it is more common during winter and heat.Even if skin dehydration is not serious to health, keeping it well hydrated will help in maintaining youthful complexion.
Causes Of Dehydrated Skin
Skin dehydration can be caused due to lots of factors. Environmental reasons play vital role in causing skin dehydration. Moisture is the basic food for the skin to maintain its smooth and suppleness. The percentage of moisture is high in humid climate. In winter months the atmospheric humidity is at its low. Added upon it is the room heating that robs away the moisture in your home. Both these factors can contribute to cause lack of moisture content in your skin cells.
Dehydration of skin is also common in summer months due to intense heat. Besides the environmental reasons, skin dehydration can also occur due to pollution, breezy wind, staying for long periods in saunas, frequent hot baths, unhealthy make up products, lack of nutrient and water intake, smoking, medications and illnesses such as diarrhea and vomiting.
Signs And Symptoms Of Dehydrated Skin
Most signs and symptoms of dehydration of skin are like those of sunburn. The skin becomes dry and losses it smoothness. There is peculiar tingling and burning sensation on skin surface. The skin feels pulled as it becomes tight. It can result in breakouts and skin patches. The skin feels irritated all the time.
Due to lack of moisture in the skin, the skin appears rough with streaks and lines which are more noticeable on the joints. Due to lack of water the skin becomes dry and causes itching which is one of the prominent symptoms of dehydrated skin. Dehydrated skin flakes easily.
Natural Home Remedies For Dehydrated Skin
Skin dehydration can be corrected with several home care measures.
- If you find your skin is dehydrated drink enough water throughout the day. It will help in replenishing the lost moisture.
- Eat healthy diet which contains vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids and other antioxidants. All of them are useful in maintaining healthy skin.
- Avoid taking baths in hot water for long duration.
- Use home humidifier in winter months as if there is moisture in air, not much will be drawn out from the skin.
- Prepare a paste by mixing 1 or 2 teaspoon of honey and one mashed avocado. Avocado is rich in vitamin E and honey acts as a softening agent. Apply the paste to your skin and wash it off after 15 minutes.
- Coconut oil and olive oil are natural oils that help in refurbishing your dehydrated skin. Both these oils are easily available in your kitchen.
- Avoid applying soaps that contain harsh chemicals. To exfoliate your skin use washcloth.