Most people take care and pay more attention of their face and hair. But they often neglect their hands which is the second most exposed and noticed part of the body after face. People apply different types of sun screen and lotions on their face to keep the facial skin flawless and smooth. However, they skip taking any care and precautions of their hands. This is why many people have dark spots and discoloration on hands.
In majority of cases, hyper pigmentation and dark spots on hands is caused due to excess exposure to sunlight.Besides sun exposure there are several other causes that may cause dark discoloration of skin on hands.
Causes Of Dark Discoloration Of Hands
The skin on the back of hand is delicate and thin. Your hands work relentlessly all the time, may be while washing clothes or handling other objects etc. Besides just like face the skin of hands is exposed to environment in all weather. This affects the tone and texture of skin on hands. Here are some reasons for hyper-pigmentation on hands.
- Too much and frequent exposure to UV rays of sun can cause darkening of the exposed part of hand. It occurs due to excess production of melanin pigments. Melanocyte, the cells which produce maelnin pigments gives color to the skin. The cells start producing more pigments if your skin is exposed to excessive sunlight. It does so to protect the skin from harmful UV rays. Thus the outer portion of hand is always dark than the interior part.
- Dark spot on hands can be a sign of liver spots or age spots. Black or dark tanned spots appear on face, hands, neck due to sun exposure. It is more common in people with fair skin. The melanin pigments get concentrated in one area to give rise to age spots. They can develop in all, but more commonly seen in aged individuals.
- An injury to hand or burn can cause hyper-pigmentation on hands.
- Allergic reaction to any drugs or things can lead to change in the color of skin. It may become darker.
- Certain medications can trigger hyper-pigmentation on skin including on hands. Estrogen containing hormone pills used to prevent pregnancy can cause dark skin on hands and legs. Anti epileptic drugs are also known to produce hyper-pigmentation.
- Dark discoloration on hands can develop due to skin conditions such as lichen planus and eczema.
Home Remedies For Skin Discoloration On Hands
Here are few important home remedies that will lighten the dark discoloration on hands.
- Prepare a paste by blending raw potato and onion in a blender. Apply this paste on the darkened area of the hand. Let this paste remain there till it gets dry. Rinse your hands with cool water. Follow this procedure twice in a week. After few weeks you will notice the difference.
- Apply milk on the dark discolored hand. Milk has natural elements that may help the skin to become more bright and supple.
- Extract cucumber juice and add two teaspoons of juice of lemon. Mix both the juices. Apply it on your dark discolored skin on hand. Follow it regularly for few days or weeks. Lemon has natural bleaching properties which helps the skin to lighten. Cucumber juice makes the skin glowing and smooth.
- Vitamin E oil is useful to reduce dark spots on hands. Cut one or two vitamin E capsules. Mix it with olive oil. Apply the prepared oil on the dark area of hand. Apply it daily for few weeks.
- Applying fresh aloe vera gel is also beneficial for overall skin health. It also improves skin tone and texture if applied daily for few days.