Do you know that we sweat without our knowledge; this is because it is an autonomous process in our body which maintains an even body temperature by the way of sweating. Sweat is secreted by sweat glands; they are tubular structure of the skin. On an average there are four million sweat glands in humans.
However many people suffer from clogged sweat glands, especially those prone to heavy sweating and having curly hairs. Some people are genetically predisposed to clogged sweat glands. Though not a serious ailment, blogged sweat glands results into prickly heat rash an itchy and irritable skin condition.
What Causes Clogged Sweat Glands?
Prickly heat rash is also called sweat rash and medical term for it is miliaria. It is common in children as their sweat glands are still immature and more prone to become blocked.
Warm climate, increase in humidity and excessive perspiration can clog the sweat glands. Clogged sweat glands are more prone to occur in the armpits and the groin area. It is because of the increase in the skin folds and due to dense number of sweat glands in the armpit and the groin area.
Let us know what causes clogged sweat glands.Bacteria called staphylococcus epidermis lives on the skin and it does not harm the body. However the bacteria make a sticky substance, when it combines with sweat, oil and dead skin cells it blocks the sweat glands. Blocked sweat glands cause red tiny bumps or rash that itch and burn.
Treatment For Blocked Sweat Glands
Several herbal and home remedies are effective in treating clogged sweat glands.
- Lime juice is natural remedy to unclog the sweat glands. It allows the skin to cool and reduce the internal heat. Drink lime juice three times in a day when you experience your sweat glands are clogged.
- Other fruit juices that similarly act are orange and watermelon juice.
- To avoid prickly heat caused due to clogged sweat glands, avoid heat and humid climate.
- Avoid excessive sweating.
- Wear loose cotton clothing that can help the skin to breathe.
- Apply pulp of watermelon the prickly heat rash, it give a cooling effect and treats the condition within few days.
- Prepare a paste by mixing cornstarch powder and water. Apply it on the clogged sweat glands and on the prickly heart. Rinse it with cool water after it has dried.
- Sandalwood powder and rose water give a soothing effect to the miliaria. It reduces itching and inflammation. You can use only sandalwood powder if rose water is not available.