A soft textured skin with an even tone reflects beauty and youthful appearance that people of all age group seek for. Unfortunately, many people have ashy skin; their skin texture is dry with a dull and chalky tone. In short ashy skin is nothing but dull and dry skin.
Although any individual can have dry and dull skin, it is more noticeable in people with dark complexion. Your skin appears dry and dusky when the dead skin cells remain on the surface of skin. It is commonly seen on elbow, knee, and lower leg and on the heel.
Ashy skin is not serious skin disorder, but people consider it more of a cosmetic embarrassment. The condition gets exacerbated in winter when the season is cold and dry. There are many natural treatments to get rid of ashy dull looking skin.
What Are The Causes Of Dry Ashy Skin?
There are varieties of issues that can make your skin ashy and dull. The main reason for your skin to become ashy and chalky is lack of moisture on the upper layer of skin that is necessary to keep it smooth and supple.
- Your skin tends to dry in winter due to low humidity in the surrounding.
- Use of bath soaps and laundry soaps full of chemicals can rob away moisture from the upper layer of skin and cause dryness. People feel relaxed in hot shower, but too much of it is not good for your skin as it washes away natural oils from your skin.
- Certain medications are also responsible for ashy and chalky skin. Dry and dull skin is also common in people suffering from certain medical conditions such as hypothyroidism, psoriasis and atopic dermatitis.
- Some people have genetic predisposition for ashy skin. People with dark complexion are more prone to it. Ashy skin is also common in older age group due to change in hormone level.
- Alcohol, exercising too much can make your skin dry if you do not drink water and fluid that is necessary to replace the lost body fluid.
Symptoms Of Ashy Skin
Some of the common symptoms associated with ashy skin include:
- The skin over elbow, knee, heel, and smaller joints, leg and arm usually tend to appear ashy, grey and dull when it becomes dry. It loses its shine and texture.
- The skin becomes rough and parched. It becomes itchy. Patient tries to constantly scratch the skin.
- Although dry and ashy skin is not concerning in majority of cases, it can lead to secondary bacterial infection in some people due to intense scratching.
How To Take Care Of Ashy Skin Naturally?
Ashy skin is not a serious medical condition but it needs to be cured. There are many natural ways that can be helpful in dealing with ashy and dry skin.
- The key to cure ashy skin is to keep it well hydrated. Water is the most needed food for your skin. Drink plenty of water to keep your skin well hydrated and moist.
- Dry and dull skin needs exfoliation. It is the second step to get rid of ashy skin in natural way. Exfoliate your skin with a natural scrub. It will help to remove the dead skin cells from the surface of skin and make way for newer cells to grow.
- The next step is to apply a good moisturizer on the skin. Apply moisturizer soon after taking bath as it entraps the moisture that is left over on the skin.
- Coconut oil is a good moisturizer. Apply coconut oil on the affected part of skin or all over skin. Gently massage the area so that the oil is absorbed deep inside the skin. You can also use olive oil or emu oil as another alternative to treat ashy skin.
- Eat foods that are rich source of vitamin C, E and antioxidants. They help to heal and make the skin healthy. Eat strawberry, raspberry, blueberry etc as they are rich source of antioxidants.