Skin rash is a subjective symptom which often is responsible for bringing the patient to the doctor for consultation. Rash turns the skin red and blotchy. Sometimes the skin gets swollen. The bumpy rash may be filled with watery liquid or pus. Skin rash can occur in any part of the body. Most of the time rash is accompanied with itching, pain, burning and tingling sensation etc.
Rash on lower back can be due to various reasons. In some cases it can be a local cause while in others it can be a systemic disease.Allergic Contact dermatitis is one of the main reasons for rash on lower back. A simple tight fitting shirt can become a reason for skin rash. May be the synthetic material of the shirt used is responsible for the allergy. Rash due to insect bite in lower back is also a possible reason. Most of the time treating the underlying disease will cure the rash present on lower back. Home remedies as well as conventional medicines are both effective in treating rash on back. Let us know various causes of rash on back.
Causes of Rash on Lower Back
There may be several reasons for rash on lower back. Person of any age group can have rash on back; even if the under lying reason is different.
For our simple understanding, let us categorize rash on lower back into local and systemic causes.
- Insect bite. A bite of an ant or that of a mosquito can produce rash on lower back.
- Contact allergy: contact with dyes, detergents and cosmetics.
- Many women wear jewelry around their waist. It is a common practice in certain Asian countries. Allergic dermatitis rash is often observed in such cases.
- Latex, rubber and elastic can also produce red rash around the lower back.
- Too much exposure to sunlight, especially during sunbathing can cause rash on lower as well as upper back.
- A rash appears before bed sore forms. Bed sore occurs when the patient is bed ridden for a long time.
- Rash in lower back due to jute and straw mattresses.
Skin diseases such as eczema, psoriasis, herpes zoster, lichen planus, urticaria, fungus infection etc all have one common symptom and that is rash. All these diseases can affect lower back.
Rash on lower back can also be caused due to systemic diseases.
- Lyme disease caused due to tick bite.
- Measles and mumps.
- Streptococcal sore throat.
- Rash due to ringworm infection.
- Rash due to drug reaction.
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus.
Treatment and Home Remedies:
It is important to know the reason of rash on lower back as skin rash is only a symptom of the disease. In order to heal the rash, it is important to treat the disease as a whole. In certain cases simple local application of creams and ointments may be enough. While sometimes internal medications may be required.
Conventional medicines include anti histaminic drugs which reduce inflammation and itching sensation. Local application in the form of cream can be applied. At times steroidal creams are also prescribed by the doctor.
Those who want to opt for home remedies can try;
- Aloe vera gel: It is a soothing agent for the skin. Itching and inflammation reduces after its application.
- Oatmeal bath is also effective method of treating lower back rash. Take a cup of oatmeal and mix it in the bath tub. Now dip in the tub for 15 minutes. It provides instant relief in itching and inflammation of rash.
- Apply baking soda on the affected area of the lower back. It will reduce irritation and inflammation caused as a result of rash.
- Tea prepared from herbs like chamomile, marigold, and calendula when applied to the lower back rash reduces itching and inflammatory changes.
- Poultice prepared from bentonite clay is also effective in curing rash on lower back.