People who have dark elbows and knees are typically ashamed of their condition. This is because the condition can affect their self-esteem that will eventually bring their self-confidence down. This dilemma is more pronounced among women than in men, especially those who would like to have a whiter complexion. Having dark knees and elbows are just too much for them.
On the other hand, the high number of people who have the condition has lead to a revolution in medical practices. Today, it is a very common sight to see clinics and individuals specializing in treating dark elbows and knees and in other means to whiten skin.
Causes of Dark Knees and Elbows
The following are the most common causes for having dark knees and elbows:
- The frequent usage of these areas. When the knees and elbows are frequently used for some reason, in the long run they may become darker.
- Irregular cleaning of knees and elbow area. When these areas are neglected in hygiene, they may become darker as they accumulate dirt and other particles.
- Accumulation of dead skin cells. When dead skin cells accumulate on the knees and elbows, they become darker.
Remedies for Dark Skin and Elbows
There are plenty of products out there that purport to whiten elbows and knees.These products range from lotions to bleaching creams and even medicines to be taken orally or applied topically. However, one must be careful when planning to use such products because some of them may contain materials that are harmful to the body. In the end, you may not get the desired result.
It is far better and safer to use natural treatments to clean dark knees and elbow that produce the desired results. The following are some of these home remedies:
- Scrub the dark knees or elbows with a pumice stone gently. If a pumice stone is not available, then a towel will do. Just make sure that you will not overdo the procedure and cause harm to your skin.
- Rub a slice of lemon on the dark knees and elbows. Do this regularly for a few days, always making sure to use fresh lemons. After some time, you will notice the dark areas slowly getting whiter.
- Prepare a mixture of coconut oil and limejuice. With the help of a towel, apply the mixture on the affected part.