If you have seen tiny red spots on skin, don’t fret. You are not an isolated case, nor are you seriously sick. These spots are what you call freckles.
Role Of Melanocytes
- The skin produces the pigment, melanin, through the cells called melanocytes.
- The melanin produced by the melanocytes is fed to the outer barrier of the skin called the keratinocytes. This outer barrier is what protects us against the sun’s harmful UV rays.
- When we are continually exposed to the sun’s harmful UV rays, there is the tendency for the pigment producing cells to get damaged, too.
- When the melanocytes are busted, it causes an abnormal build up of the pigment, melanin in the skin.
- This abnormal collection of melanin is what forms the red freckles.
What Causes Freckles?
When red freckles are present, it is a sign that our skin is beginning to be ruined by the sun. Yes, you heard it right, the sun is the culprit. While we get enough vitamin D from the sun, too much of it is not good for the body. The abnormal collection of melanin is being stored in the topmost layer, the epidermis.
Here are some of the reasons for getting red freckles:
- Sun exposure is the primary reason for getting red freckles, which means that less exposure will eliminate or lighten freckles in the skin.
- Genetic factors are also linked to having red freckles.
- Abnormal stimulation of the hormones triggers the estrogen to stimulate the melanocytes. In effect, it causes the cells to generate excess skin color when it is exposed to the sun, thus the red freckles.
- Having fair skin is also to be blamed for having red freckles. Fair-skinned have less melanin produced, which makes it difficult to absorb the UV light. That is why the pigment-producing cells works hard to produce more melanin and at an increased rate, causing the abnormal production of melanin.
How To Get Rid Of Freckles Naturally?
- The known effective treatments for red freckles are bleaching creams, chemical peels, cryosurgery, tretinoin creams, laser treatments, and intense pulsed light therapy or IPL.
- The wonder plant, aloe vera is also a popular remedy for red freckles. While aloe is mostly seen in hair products, there have been claims that it can actually regenerate the skin.
- The fresh aloe vera juice rubbed on the spot twice a day and you will see that the spots would fade away. Of course you will not see the results immediately. In about a month or two and you will see those red freckles slowly fading away.