Question: I’m 14 years old with dark underarm skin due to which I cannot wear sleeveless dress. Please suggest remedy.
Causes of dark underarm:
- Frequent shaving off hair from the underarm region, results in the skin appearing darker, especially among light skinned people. This is because the hair is visible below the skin, even after shaving.
- Similarly using hair removal creams also darken the region due to the hair being partially visible. Further, chemical composition of the cream tends to darken the region and causes burns on prolonged usage.
- Regular usage of deodorants or anti-perspirants may also cause darkening of underarms.
Reducing underarm darkening:
- Waxing removes hair from their roots so that no hair is left under the skin. Waxing also removes dead skin which further reduces the darkness in the underarms. Persistent waxing will reduce the growth of hair itself.
- Using an epilator will keep you hair free on daily basis. It is not very painful and the hair is removed when in is very small. This will help keep your underarms hair free and clean.
- Don’t use deodorants or anti-perspirants unless essential. Instead of applying them in the morning when leaving home, apply them in the afternoon, when u feel the need for it.
- Underarms region may darken due to bacterial or fungal infection. If your skin feels itchy or inflamed you need to apply medicated cream or anti-fungal powder.