It is impossible for anyone to resist touching a baby’s smooth and supple skin. It is an ultimate blank slate which is free from all marks and blemishes that a person may always desire to touch. Having said that, it is also important to know, the skin of baby is too delicate and thin and vulnerable to rashes and irritation.
Most of these rashes and irritations that may appear on an infant’s skin are not serious, but it definitely has an impact on the child’s health.
Skin irritation in babies has several reasons.In first few months of life, it’s the mother’s hormones that may be responsible for skin problem. When the baby is still in mother’s womb, the hormones secreted by mother may clog the oil glands and cause red bumps similar to pimples. Harsh chemicals in soaps and shampoos can irritate delicate skin of the baby. In older babies certain food allergies may be responsible for skin irritation and flare ups.
Miliaria is another transient inflammatory disease of skin of infants caused by mechanical obstruction of the sweat ducts. Infections caused by the viruses of herpes simplex may produce lesions in infants if the mother has the infection at the time of delivery.
Secondary fungal infection is common in infants and babies which is also known as nappy rash. Most of the time, skin conditions can resolve on their own or in some cases they may require simple home remedies for quick cure.
Natural Remedies For Baby Skin Irritation
Some baby skin irritations respond well to treatments done at home. For example, diaper rashes, another frequent problem responds well to treatments such as the application of baby powder, ointment, and zinc creams. In addition, keeping the area clean with mild soap and frequent diaper changes goes a long way to prevent diaper rash from occurring.
Fungus is another culprit that can lead to baby skin irritations. One example is Tinea corporis which is a fungal infection known more commonly as ring worm. It causes a circular ring of inflamed irritated rash with healthy tissue in the center. Tinea may also impact the top of a baby’s head. Candida, a yeast-like fungus, is implicated in still other baby skin irritations.
Treatments for fungal infections generally include the application on anti-fungal topical lotions. Viral infections such as molluscum contagiosum cause small pimples to form in clusters on the face and body. This condition generally resolves itself.
Keeping a baby’s skin clean, dry and moisturized can help avoid many baby skin irritations. Gentle products especially designed with baby in mind have the right balance of emollients; pH and non-pore blocking skin nutrients to keep skin healthy and free of irritations and rashes.
How To Prevent Skin Rashes In Babies?
- Use mild soaps or baby washes for the fragile skin. Do not rub. Rinse skin well with clear water and pat dry.
- Avoid harsh soaps for laundering clothing. Rinse clothes well after washing.
- If you are breast feeding, make sure to include an ample supply of fresh fruits in your diet daily. Drink plenty of water.
- Never use oily or greasy creams or lotions on a baby’s skin. The fragile skin does not need it. Adding such potions to the skin can make the baby acne a lot worse.
- Some new moms make a paste of diluted lemon juice and honey for irritated skin. You can dab a small amount on the areas with a cotton ball or Q-tip. Rinse the area thoroughly after a few minutes. This may help in drying the lesions out quicker.