Acne impacts the lives of millions of people every day. Even after an outbreak has been resolved, acne scars may remain. While acne scars can’t be removed completely there are several products and processes that can minimize their appearance.
When collagen in the skin is damaged from the inflammation associated with acne, scarring can occur. When there is a loss of collagen the scar shows up as a pitted scar. Ice pick scars and atrophic scars are examples of this type of acne scar. When the scarring is raised it’s called hypertrophic. Hypertrophic scars are more common on the back and shoulders than on the face.
In addition, some people may experience more pronounced scarring. For example, African Americans may have more pronounced acne scars due to hyper pigmentation. Other ethnicities with darker pigmentation may also have a higher risk of scarring. Hispanics and people of Middle Eastern descent may need to take special care to avoid scarring.
Types Of Scars And Its Treatment
- Dermabrasion is a commonly used technique to soften the appearance of acne scars. Dermabrasion involves resurfacing the skin using some form of abrasive.
- The outer layer of skin is called the epidermis. When a treatment is designed only to impact the epidermis it is called a superficial Dermabrasion. The second layer of the skin is called the dermis. Deep Dermabrasion treats this layer of skin. Superficial Dermabrasion has a shorter recovery time, but it may not be as effective for severe scarring. Deep Dermabrasion may take weeks of recovery while both layers of skin heal.
- Laser resurfacing may also reduce the severity of acne scars.
- Subcision is a procedure where a needle is inserted under the skin and then used to disturb the underlying scar tissue.
- Other techniques involve removal of the scar tissue completely using surgical procedures such as punch and excision and the use of grafts to minimize damage.
- Topical creams and acne peels are also available.
Natural Remedies To Cure Acne Scars
It is also possible to diminish the appearance of acne scars with natural remedies. For those who prefer it, here are the following tips.
- Prepare fresh paste of sandalwood by mixing sandalwood powder and rose water. Apply it on acne scars before you sleep. Keep it overnight and wash your face in morning with cool water. Practice it regularly. You may observe the difference after few months.
- Eat healthy diet composed of fruits and greens. Both contain vitamins and minerals that are required to reduce collagen damage.
- Drink enough water. Water flushes out impurities from the body.
- Apply lime juice on scars. Lemon is rich source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is beneficial for al type of skin health.
- Apply egg white. Regular application of egg white helps to reduce acne scars.
- Apply tomato puree on acne scars. Apply it regularly to lighten them. Instead of puree, you can also apply tomato slice on your face.
- Almond oil is a great natural remedy for reducing acne scars. Apply almond oil on the scars before going to bed.
- Apply ice cube on acne scars. Wrap the ice cube in a clean cloth and rub it on the scars for 5 to 10 minutes. It helps to reduce inflammation and diminishes the scar area.