Low, High Testosterone in Female
Testosterone in women? Surprised, yes we all have heard of testosterone hormone as male specific, but well, it is required in small doses in women, too.
Testosterone is an anabolic androgenic steroid hormone.
- Anabolic: it increases protein synthesis in tissues and muscles.
- Androgenic: it helps to develop and maintain masculine characteristics.
Testosterone is considered as a male sex hormone that is secreted in male testes. Apart from bring male specific it has some extra vital functions to perform, in male and females.
Testosterone is one of the six hormones produced by the female reproductive system.In women, testosterone is secreted in the ovaries and in adrenal glands.
Studies have proved that little amount of testosterone is essential in women to maintain the bone strength, muscles, energy and sex drive. It can relieve mild depression, vaginal atrophy and dryness. It also acts on brain, liver and blood vessels to enhance their functions.
Symptoms Of Low Testosterone In Women
- The amount of testosterone in female goes on decreasing as she ages. Suppression by corticosteroids, adrenal failure or removal of ovary also gives rise to low testosterone levels.
- Decrease in libido or sex drive is one of the commonest symptoms of low testosterone in women.
- Osteoporosis and back ache are other low testosterone symptoms.
- Weight gain and obesity
- Dry skin and dry vagina
- Coronary artery disease.
Symptoms Of High Testosterone In Women
- Masculine characteristics like baldness
- Facial hair growth.
- Deepening of voice.
- Chest pain and heart disease in post menopause women having high testosterone.
- Greater amount of risk taking capacity in women having high testosterone.
- Dominance, aggressiveness, fearless, risk adopting women are high in testosterone level.
To increase testosterone one can eat natural foods instead of taking injections and patches.
These foods are herbs like black cohosh, soy products, cabbage, radish, broccoli, garlic, eggs and cauliflower, flax seeds, peanuts and fish.