Postorgasmic Illness Syndrome
Postorgasmic illness syndrome is a condition that shows weakening symptoms following orgasm. It can last for a few hours or for several days. A person suffering from this has brain fog, depression, intense discomfort, irritability, anxiety, and difficulty in concentrating. There are physical symptoms also, such as fatigue, headache, flu and allergy-like symptoms, muscle pains, and even sore throat. Persons who suffer from these eventually even avoid sexual intercourse. POIS can lower man’s self-esteem and confidence.
Causes of POIS
- A lack of progesterone
- Imbalanced hormone levels contribute to this unusual experience
- Low testosterone
- High cortisol, a hormone released in response to stress
- Hormones secreted from the body during and after sex produces an inflammatory response, thus the flu-like symptoms
- Some experts believe that relational and psychosomatic issues play a vital part in POIS.
- Researchers are starting to observe that POIS may be linked to a deficit of endorphin. Endorphin is normally released during orgasm and is responsible for the feeling of exhilaration.
Home Remedies and Treatment for POIS
- Take progesterone supplements.
- Take antidepressants for the mood irregularity.
- More physical activity increases testosterone. Avoiding soy and alcohol improves testosterone levels.
- Make a strong cup of feverfew tea with crushed ginger before sex. This will tone down the immune system’s reaction.
- Take a strong analgesic.
- If the condition persists for more than a week, the individual is strongly encouraged to see a doctor.
- For those with psychosomatic factors, see a specialist and consider counseling.