Negativistic personality disorder is a chronic psychological state of mind as described by Diagnostic and statistical manual of personality disorder (DSM- IV), American psychiatric association, 1994. There are people who always have pessimistic ideas. They are full of negative energy. These people are said to be suffering from negativistic personality disorder. The other term used for it is, passive aggressive personality disorder.
People suffering from this disorder may recognize and tolerate the desire and needs of others but at the same time oppose it passively. People having negative thoughts and ideas always belittle others efforts.They frustrate people who come in their contact even if they have valid demands and request.
A person having passive aggressive personality trait when given any task may respond and resist it in a negative pessimistic manner. He will deliberately have negative attitude towards a given task. He will criticize and do the task in an inefficient way. Such people always face problems in their workplace and in their relationship. Dealing with this type of personality who are always arguing, obstinate, disregarding may be quiet difficult.
Causes Of Negativistic Personality Disorder
Even though the condition is referred as personality disorder, many consider it as behavioral state.They do not like to be enslaved by any commitment nor do they bind in any relationship. The reason for negativistic personality disorder is not really understood. But researchers feel it stems from the genetic inheritance as well as the environment where he grows up.
Living constantly in negative environment, such as fighting parent, child abuse, alcoholic parents etc may have a negative impact on the mind of a growing child and he may develop negativistic attitude towards life and the society at large. This seems to be a prime reason in most of the cases. When a person is not allowed to express his ideas and is kept suppressed all the time will generate lot of negative energy. It will be destructive not only for the person, but to the people who are attached to him and his surroundings.
Negativistic Personality Disorder Symptoms
- Stubborn behavior.
- Deliberately delays the work and keeps it lingering for another time.
- Always thinks of how to obstruct the work. Indulges in self destructive behaviors.
- They are chronic criticizers.
- They are always envious for people who are successful, to their superiors, and to their peers. Given an opportunity they will express their jealousy in open. But when scolded, they always beg to be forgiven. They will apologies and admit to change their behavior in future.
- They are great arguers. They may sometimes become hostile.
- They do not respect the ideas of others and always belittle their ideas even if they are valid.
- They constantly dislike people who are in authority.
- There always remain fearful to intimate relationship. They do not like to remain dependent on other nor do they like any sort of competition.
- Always blame others for their failure and defeat.
- They think they are victimized due to corruption, inefficiency of people and the system.
How To Deal With Passive Aggressive Personality Disorder?
It is tricky to deal with a person who has negative personality traits. You may not be able to keep him aloof from getting interacted with you as you are related to him. He may be a colleague in your workplace. In such circumstances let us know how to deal with such people.
- Do not treat the person as having a psychiatric personality. Consider his condition is nothing but a behavior trait.
- Do not ever mention in front of the person that is suffering from a personality disorder as it will have negative repercussions on his behavior.
- If the person is your relative or a friend or colleague at your workplace, take him to a counselor. But do not make him look like he needs some type of counseling. Rather make him understand that it is a way to learn something new from a counselor. If it needed, you can also join the counseling session to make the person feel ease.
- Discussing similar problems in group will be more beneficial. It is called group therapy.
- Some medications may help such as antidepressants. But they cannot be taken for a long period.