Home Remedies for Throat Swelling and Tightness
Throat swelling and tightness is an inflammation at the back of the throat that usually signifies an underlying health condition. The usual throat swelling symptoms include the following:
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Throat discomfort
- Hoarseness of voice
- Pain in the throat area
- Dryness of throat
The common throat swelling causes are the following:
- Bacterial infection
- Viral infection
- Inhaling droplets of persons infected cough or flu
- Strep throat infection
- Excessive smoking
For throat swelling remedy and treatment, you can remember and apply the following tips:
- Drink plenty of water to naturally wash down viruses and bacteria. The ideal amount of water that should be taken is between 8 to 10 glasses a day.
- Take a lot of rest or at least 8 hours of sleep every night.
- To curb throat swelling and tightness, suck on a hard candy or lozenges.
- You can also suck on frozen fruit juices or frozen delights. This will soothe the inflammation and pain experienced with sore throat.
- Gargle warm water with a teaspoon of salt. Do this twice a day: once in the morning after waking up and once in the evening before retiring to bed.
- Take warm soups and include lots of garlic and ginger to effectively ward off bacteria. Chicken soup is ideal since it is best cooked with ginger and garlic.
- Drink a glass of warm water mixed with a teaspoon of turmeric powder before sleeping at night. Turmeric is known to have strong anti bacterial properties that can kill bacteria and treat throat swelling and tightness immediately.
- Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables especially those that are rich in vitamin C.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly.