I have the hiccups since three days. Nothing has worked till now. What else can I do?
A hiccup is repeated contraction of diaphragm many times in a minute. When air is suddenly gushed into the lungs the epiglottis closes and a ‘hic’ sound is produced. Hiccup is also called singultus. It is an involuntary act.
What Causes Hiccups Or Singultus?
- Main reason is irritation of the phrenic nerve or the vagus nerve.
- Hiccup also occurs after eating spicy food, drinking cold beverages and drinking alcohol.
- Eating too hurriedly can also cause hiccups.
- Continuous laughing can also result in hiccups.
- Emotional stress and strain.
How To Get Rid Of Recurrent Hiccups?
Bout of hiccups settles down of its own. Some time treatment becomes necessary if it becomes chronic.
- Try to eat granulated sugar by keeping it in mouth for a time till it melts.
- Gulping a glassful of water warm at a time can stop hiccup in some cases.
- Citrus fruits like lemon or orange can also stop hiccups.
- Try to touch your toes without bending your legs, do this exercise five times to get rid of hiccups.
- Acupuncture and hypnotherapy will help in relieving the symptom.
- For acid reflux hiccups problem antacids are helpful.
As in your case the hiccups are more than two days, it is advisable to consult a doctor to find out the cause. You may need an ECG, or an X-ray chest, to rule out any major cause.