Home Remedies for Stuffy Head and Nose:
One of the common and most annoying complications of colds is having a stuffy nose and head. This happens due to the congestion of mucous as well as the swelling of the mucosal membrane in the nose area. This situation causes heaviness and a very tight feeling in the nose and head. On the other hand, a stuffy nose may be cause by allergies as well.
How to Treat Stuffy Head and Nose?
At the onset of colds, the first to experience a stuffy condition is the nose.However, due to the proximity of the two body parts, there is the likelihood that the affliction in the nose will affect the entire head. As such, it is always important to treat the nasal condition first to bring relief for stuffed nose. For best results, one should try the following home remedies:
- Boil about three cups of water. After that, pour the bottle into a container such as a basin or a deep plate. Place a cloth over the container to serve as a sort of cover, leaving only enough space for steam to escape. Place your nose on the opening where the steam escapes and try to inhale the steam. This will unclog nose and bring relief to stuffy nose and head.
- Slice some onions and inhale the odor of onion. The aroma of onion is known to be an effective decongestant, thereby clearing the nose. This process may cause you to become teary-eyed, but it is one instance when you shed tears and be happy about it.
- Prepare a saline solution by mixing a quarter teaspoon of baking soda, half a teaspoon of table salt, and about 8 ounces of water. With a medicine dropper, administer some drops into the nose to provide relief.
- When taking a bath, enjoy a hot shower. The steam from the bath unclogs the nasal passages by clearing mucus.
- Drink a lot of warm ginger tea. The soothing and cooling effect of ginger will help unclog nasal passageway as well as eliminating the stuffy feeling.
- Be sure to drink a lot of water. Water will help dilute mucus, making it easier to expel. As a result, the nose and head is freed from the materials that cause stuffiness.
- When sleeping, keep your head higher than your body. This can be accomplished by placing an extra pillow beneath your head. While this may not relieve the stuffy feeling, it will allow you to breathe easily.