Dry Cough at Night Remedy
Cough is a protective mechanism of our body that prevents tiny particles from entering the lungs. However, a dry cough worse at night may be triggered by lying on a flat bed on a position that makes irritants move to the throat by gravity.
The causes of dry cough during night time include:
- Irritants such as smoking and dust can cause dry cough.
- Inflammation of the large airways (bronchitis) has the initial symptom of dry hacking cough at night but later progress to productive cough.
- Sinusitis or the inflammation of the sinuses causes nasal drainage and irritates the throat and leads to dry cough.
- Common colds are often followed by dry cough that worsen at night.
Safe Solutions for Dry Cough at Night
You can try these home remedies:
- Mix honey and ginger juice or turmeric powder and take it three to four times per day.
- Gargle a solution of warm water and salt.
- Peel off some ginger, cut it in medium parts, then chew them, taking as much of the juice inside.
- Drinking ginger tea before bedtime will soothe the throat.
- Chew two or three cloves of garlic taking the juice in. You can also make garlic paste with honey as an alternative.
- Almond paste can also treat dry cough. Do this by soaking five to six almonds overnight and grind until pasty. Add a pinch of sugar.
- Drinking warm milk with a one tablespoon honey before bedtime will ease dry cough.