Phlegm in Throat Treatments:
Phlegm in throat is due to pharyngeal catarrh or upper respiratory tract catarrh. This is usually viral in origin and it subsides on its own. If it does not cure in time and if the immunity of the person is low it can lead to bacterial infection and the disease may spread to chest.
Preventing Phlegm in Throat:
- Diet rich in fruits and fruit juices is advisable for some days. Multi-vitamin supplement should be taken.
- Certain food articles are known to produce mucus and are better avoided during this condition. This food articles are white flour, milk (usually pasteurized), sugar foods, meat and cold drinks.
- Vegetables, nuts, whole grains, fruits and legumes should be added to the diet.
- Raw food is advisable in this condition. Usually cooked food cause more load on digesting than the raw food and hence it should be encouraged.
- Food which is difficult to digest should be completely avoided.
Home Remedies for Phlegm in Throat –
- Take a liter of water and to it add one teaspoon of salt. Boil the water for 15mins. Allow it to become lukewarm. Take handful of this water in your hand, bend over and sniff the water in your hand up into your nostrils. Continue this procedure until the water runs down into your mouth. When you are successful with this blow your nostrils. Hold one nostril closed and blow the other. Blow till both the nostrils are clear. After this procedure salt water gargle should be done.
- Drink plenty of water as water helps liquefy the mucus and come out easily preventing thickening and blockage of nostrils.
- Herbs which should be taken for clearing phlegm are calamus, valerian and black cohosh. To a liter of boiling water add one teaspoon of each. Allow it to cool and taken 100ml 3-4 times in a day.
- Other herbs which are helpful in this condition are uva ursi and poplar bark. Take two teaspoon of poplar bark and one teaspoon of uva ursi and mix it. One cup boiled water is taken and to it one teaspoon of this powder is added. Drink this three times per day.
- Goldenseal powder is equally effective and can be taken three times a day in boiled water.