I am suffering from breathing trouble and mild left chest pain from december2009. How can I relieve chest pain and breathing difficulties?
- Chest pain and breathlessness is one of the commonest subjective symptoms that cause alarm to the patient as well as to the treating clinician, as it often gives the sufferer a vision of serious organic disease of heart or lungs.
- It is also a challenging situation for the clinician to diagnose the problem. Failure to recognize a serious disorder such as coronary artery disease may result in dangerous delay of the much needed treatment.
- Now let me know your age, what are the associated signs and symptoms along with chest pain and breathing difficulty?
- Do you have cough during this period, and does the cough increase your chest pain? Probably then this could be due to the muscle spasm caused by coughing as in case of bronchitis.
- Do you have mental stress in recent times? Then we will have to look for functional cause.
- Does the left sided pain radiate to the arms or the hand? Is your breathlessness associated with simple work, or climbing stairs, or walking a little? Do you smoke and drink alcohol? If so you may need a thorough check up by a cardiac physician.
Causes of Chest Pain and Breathlessness
There are many causes for this type of symptoms they can be from simple muscular pain to grave heart disease, few of the important causes are:
- Musculoskeletal: trauma, rib fracture, muscle spasm
- Functional: anxiety
More serious causes:
- Cardiac: ischemic heart disease, angina pectoris, valvular heart disease,
- Respiratory: pleurisy, bronchitis,
Investigation necessary are: complete blood count, lipid profile, ECG at rest and during exercise, X-ray chest. This are the primary investigations required.
Treatment for Chest Pain and Breathing Trouble
When there is breathing and chest pain problem associated together howsoever it may be mild, the first thing is to exclude the cardiac cause and lung disease. For this it is advisable to consult a physician.
Some of the home remedies and tips may be valuable:
- Garlic with milk on regular basis is very effective in cardiac chest pain; garlic has property of making the blood thin in persons having cholesterol problems.
- Basil juice and honey in the morning is very useful in avoiding chest pain. It can be useful in treating bronchitis and cough.
- Consumption of ginger in daily diet also helps to reduce breathing difficulty and cough resulting in chest pain.
- Stop smoking if you are doing so, it is good for your heart and your lungs.