For some women being pregnant is a happy and exciting moment, for some others it may be a cause of worry. Whatever may be the feeling, pregnancy test will confirm if you are pregnant in most of the cases. The question arises when to take a pregnancy test for confirming pregnancy.
Home Pregnancy Test
Apparently, the best way to find out is to get a urine pregnancy test done. A UPT is a simple home based test which analyzes the HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin), a hormone which is released during pregnancy and indicates whether one is pregnant or not.The test should be ideally done after 15 days of a missed period and should be done using the first morning urine sample to reduce detection errors.
However, this doesn’t explain the tightness that you feel in your abdomen. The embryo is so small that it can’t bring about any stretching or change in the size of the uterus. So there is a possibility that you have abdominal distension due to accumulation of gas or fecal waste in the colon. Try the following,
- Increase your intake of water to about three liters each day. This will aid in softening the stools and help in removal of impacted waste.
- Increase intake of fiber foods like fresh fruits, green leafy vegetables, cabbage, psyillum husk, etc which will add bulk to the fecal matter and aid in excretion of the waste.
- Avoid heavy meals. Take small meals at short duration of times.
- Increase the intake of milk and milk products, which will aid in fighting acidity and reduce gaseous distension.
When To Take A Pregnancy Test?
- You can clear your doubt when you have symptoms of pregnancy such as a missed period, breast tenderness, nausea etc. by doing urine pregnancy test.
- If you have irregular periods and you are sexually active, you should always perform pregnancy test to confirm pregnancy. You may have to frequently perform the test as the expected date of menstruation is not known.
- If you have regular periods and had physical relation during the time of ovulation, then the best period to perform the pregnancy test is six to ten days after that.
Pregnancy test is designed to detect human chorionic gonadothrophin (HCG) hormone either in the urine or in the blood. The hormone is secreted when the fertilized egg gets attached to the endometrium of the uterus. The egg usually gets attached six days after fertilization. But it is not always so, the time may vary from woman to woman. When you are pregnant, there is a rapid increase of HCG hormone.
Blood Test And Urine Test For Pregnancy
The two types of pregnancy tests are urine pregnancy test and blood pregnancy test.
- Urine pregnancy test can be done at home. It can be done one week after you miss your period. Read the instructions on the kit carefully before performing the test. Usually a morning sample of urine is preferred. The test result will show either positive or negative. You can confirm it with your doctor.
- Blood test is performed by the doctor, it is a more sensitive test to detect HCG level in the blood, and it can detect six to 10 days after the ovulation. But the disadvantage is it takes long time for the result than with urine test.