Infertility has risen sharply in last few decades all over the world. According to an estimate at least 10 to 18 per cent of couples in their reproductive age seek treatment for infertility in United States at any given point of time. Of course the prevalence may differ from one country to another. If you are having regular intercourse without using any contraceptives for one year and you are unable to get pregnant, you must consult your doctor.
There are number of complex reasons for which a woman is not able to get pregnant.Menstrual cycle irregularities, stress, hormonal imbalance, disorders of ovary, fallopian tube are few of them. The problem may also lie with the man’s reproductive system. Treatment consists of investigation of both the partners.
If the exact cause is known, the doctor tries to treat the underlying cause. With advancement in assisted reproductive technology it has become much easier to conceive among women who are not able to get pregnant.
What Makes A Woman Unable To Get Pregnant?
It is often difficult to identify a single reason for which a woman is not able to conceive.Sometimes a combination of factors may play a role in causing infertility. While in some cases it may be a single reason. Frequently the underlying cause of infertility remains undetermined. Let us know few important fertility saboteurs that may hinder possibility of conceiving.
- Some women try to postpone or delay pregnancy to late age because of personal problems, career related issues or family reasons.
- Damaged fallopian tubes can cause infertility. At least 30 per cent of cases of infertility are found to have blocked fallopian tubes. The main reason for this blockage is pelvic inflammatory disease. Once the tube is blocked, sperm cannot make an entry into it and hence fertilization of egg does not occur.
- Those suffering from thyroid disease such as hypothyroidism have difficulty in conceiving a child. This disease can cause menstrual irregularities which can lead to problems in conception.
- A woman having endometriosis is often unable to conceive.
- Uterine fibroid can also lead to infertility in a woman.
- Woman undergoing severe mental stress have reduced chances of becoming pregnant. Stress can upset the hormonal balance which in turn can lead to delay or absence of menses and subsequently affect a woman’s fertility.
- Underweight and obese woman sometimes are unable to get pregnant. This may occur because if your body does not get the required nourishment, it may not ovulate regularly. At the same time if your BMI (body mass index) is above 25 that is if the woman is obese she may experience difficulty in getting pregnant because of problems related to ovulation and menses.
- Smoking, alcohol, drugs can affect the quality of sperm in men and eggs in woman. It can create problem in fertilization.
- Woman suffering from sexually transmitted disease is likely to suffer from infertility. Genital herpes, gonorrhea, venereal warts, syphilis are some of the sexually transmitted diseases that can damage the reproductive organs.
- A woman suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is also at risk of not able to conceive.