Abortion is a procedure that terminates pregnancy by removing the embryo from the uterus. It is done either due to complications during pregnancy or at the choice of the mother. Medical abortion, also known as non surgical abortion, uses pharmaceutical drugs to eliminate the developing fetus from the uterus.
Non surgical abortion is usually cheaper and more affordable than surgical abortion. Surgical abortion is usually necessary only if medical abortion is a failure or if pregnancy is more than 6 weeks, based on the last menstrual period of the mother.
- The earlier the mother decides to have a non surgical abortion, the cheaper would it cost her.
- Non surgical abortion done during the first trimester usually cost $350 to 450.
- Most insurance plans cover the cost of both medical and surgical abortions. Just make sure to check if the clinic or hospital accepts that certain insurance plan before having an abortion.
- There are states, such as the Washington state, that offer Medical Assistance to women who do not wish to continue their pregnancy. However medical assistance can vary from state to state.
Procedure For Non Surgical Abortion
Non surgical abortion is best done with the help of a medical professional to avoid complications.
- First, a visit to a doctor for an ultrasound is necessary to determine the length of the pregnancy. Non surgical abortion is only done during the early stages of pregnancy.
- Second, the doctor will give three 200 mg mifepristone. Mifespristone is a synthetic steroid that prevents the fetus from adhering on the uterine lining. When this happens, the fetus no longer receives nutrients and blood flow is prevented, causing the fetus to die.
- Third, after two days, the pregnant woman needs to go back to the clinic and is given two 200 µg misoprostol which are inserted on the vagina. Misoprostol causes the uterus to contract, aborting the fetus.
- Fourth, the woman needs to stay in the clinic for a few hours for observation. Usually blood clots are expelled while still in the clinic or after several hours.
- Fifth, the woman needs to go back to the clinic after 14 days for check up. Check up is necessary to see if there are any complications and if abortion is successful.
Side Effects Of Non Surgical Abortion
Although non surgical abortion may seem safer compared to surgical abortion because it is non-invasive, there are still complications that may happen.
- Continued pregnancy, which may also result to birth defects.
- Incomplete abortion, although the fetus is dead already, there are still tissues that are not completely removed from the woman’s body. This can cause infections and surgical operations may be necessary.
- Vaginal bleeding, this is very possible due to misoprostol. Tissue in the form of blood clots will be expelled. Some women may need blood transfusion if vaginal bleeding is severe.
- Nausea and vomiting